Cost of registration of an Enduring Power of Attorney

Lee May

Might anyone be aware of the legal costs associated with the registration of an EPA please for an elderly male relative? I have a solicitors bill of c €1300 which seems steep for what I would have thought was a homogenous kind of document (each case quite similar, unlike conveyancing for example).

Note this cost is associated with the execution of the EPA and not its original drafting, which was paid for two years ago when the subject had it drafted for contingency reasons. Does it seem reasonable? Any opinions gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My brother is getting an EPA organised at the moment and we were given price of €3000, so your bill doesn't seem too bad.

I recently organised one for my mum and it cost €800. This included drafting EPA, sending notification letters to 3 notice parties included in EPA and getting doctors approval that mum is of sound mind to sign EPA.

Thank you all. There appears to be a great variation in the fee payable for a service which is quite a standard procedure. I really appreciate your advice and information. I agree €3000 is quite prohibitive and 800 sounds very attractive. I know where we won't be going with the probate. Put it like that. Elderly people should warrant the lowest of fees, not exorbitant ones.

Back