Cost of private school, anyone know what Gonzaga costs?

There's a massive amount of inverted snobbery and small minded generalisation going on in this thread. Jealousy, insecurity and resentment are not attractive character traits.

Complainer, you live in the leafy South Dublin suburbs, the Dundrum area I think. There are plenty of good schools, both private and public where you live. The economic apartheid of living in a wealthy area keeps the riff raff away from your local public schools so you can be as egalitarian as you like. there are plenty of public schools where kids have fights with chains and knives, not fists and feet, where drugs are a problem and kids got bullied for working. If parents work hard and do without in order to give them what they consider to be a better chance in life (not just results but peer-group and attitude) then it's the height of ignorance and arrogance to look down on them for it.

Now I know you won’t read the above as you have placed me on your banned list because you don’t like people who challenge your views so its’ just food for thought for other posters.

What is this 'league for education' that you speak of?

It is here [broken link removed]

I don't compile these reports -- just read them. Although I am a past pupil, I wouldn't send my dog cat or anything else near the place. When I was there they showed their true beliefs of been totally and utterly Anti-Semitic but as they say Do your own research.
[broken link removed]

I quite agree that all parents have a right to pay for their children to attend Private Schools if they so wish .

I do think however that the Goverment Funding over and above the average for public schools for private schools should be ended , I believe Blackrock College received €4 million last year,

Well If those same parents you speak of decided to put their kids in the non fee pay school, I'm sure that would cause even more problems.

It is here [broken link removed]

I don't compile these reports -- just read them. Although I am a past pupil, I wouldn't send my dog cat or anything else near the place. When I was there they showed their true beliefs of been totally and utterly Anti-Semitic but as they say Do your own research.
Ah I see now. You mean the league of those who go to university (which is a different question entirely). I can't find a copy of the full research, so I can only go on what is published in the Times, but it doesn't impress me.

It gives high scores to the UCD/TCD, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise to see a Dublin bias in the results. [broken link removed] shows the flaws in the research.
So in 2008, a student getting 290 points and gaining access to say Psychiatric Nurisng in Trinity would get more kudos for their school in this ranking than say a student getting 560 points and getting into medicine in NUIG.
Schools with alot of boarders tend to send alot of their students to universities in other countries. You therefore end up with the peculiar phenomenon that you get extra points for a pupil going to TCD but lose points if a student makes it to Harvard or Cambridge.
So a school which sends say 50% of its students to Maynooth for example, and one that sends 33% to Trinity are the same?

And even ignoring these flaws, why is sending people to 3rd level the only measure of success used. If a school produces a brilliant plumber, or a brilliant pilot, or a brilliant chef, none of these will be considered to be successful based on these tables.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone choose a school based on whether it is public or private. Look at the school - all aspects of the school. I'm not ruling out the local private school for us (if my equity SSIA accounts recover enough to support these), but I'm not ruling out the local public schools either.

A good friend of mine in Mt Merrion was curious as to why most of his well-heeled neighbours send their kids way up the road to Blackrock, when Oatlands CBS has an excellent reputation, and attracts (generally less well-heeled boys) from all over the southside.

Some may choose to work in mcdonalds or be a pilot ,but the point is that by going to uni you at the very least have given yourself both options.

Oatlands has an excellent rep? Really? Not from what I hear.

The reality is that people with the funds to do so,will send their kids to where others have the same funds,values/principles/standards,that makes sense.

Have a guess as to why people send their kids further afield ,when Oatlands is on their doorstep?

Back