cost of new build

To be fair, no insult at all intended towards your brother-in-law, QS rates aren't always up to date, especially if their main experience isn't in housing. An example, a friend of mine is a QS and he priced a housebase for me that I was tendering for. The spec. of the floor insulation was on the drawing and he had the same spec. in his Bill of Quantities, priced at E6.50/m2 supplied and fitted. When I rang the builder's providers, the purchase price alone was E17/m2. Expensive mistake if I hadn't checked it.

It would make things a lot simpler for both the client and the builder tendering if the client paid a QS to do a take-off of the drawings, spending the time to go through the details to come up with a comprehensive Bill of Quantities. This then could be sent to the builders to price and they would be made aware that any contract would be based on this BoQ. Then you should get accurate, honest and comparable quotes in.

Guys on the PM route - what are costsworking out for thr PM?

Is it flat cost, % of build or what

Thanks
got quote from a couple - between 25 and 28k+ VAT. i reckon i will save that much by getting discounts with suppliers through him and also, he will be negotiating with trades for me so will hopefully get a better price from them also. The way i see it, i am benefiting from his years of experience in construction and he will pay for himself in discounts/better trade prices and also, getting the build completed quicker so saving me rent and interest payments.... (Thats the plan anyway - I'll let you know how it went by Christmas)

Thanks baldyman, the brother-in laws main experience is in housing but I know myself that its just a rough estimate he's giving me. At the moment I'm really just trying to get a rough idea because looks like being a good while before I get to build,I'm just surprised at the huge differences so far.

I know a builder in Limerick/East Clare who is doing 65 euro per square foot. If you want details pm me.
This guy has done some high spec houses and can show his work.
The difference between the 3 is probably overheads.

yes, bought all my rads, oil boiler, oil storage tank, showers, trays, pumps and the rest of the shopping list from Dowlers in NI. very happy with price and service and they delivered for free to the Midlands. no connection to me, just happy to recommend. tried to get prices of Spendlove in NI but very inefficient with getting back to me on prices so cant be bothered with that carry on and poor communication.
going to buy our doors and skirting from Cathcarts in Enniskillen.

Hi
Just at the end of new build outside enniscorthy (at Caim )
builder was excellent approx 75 euro per square foot
An excellent finish and he project managed the whole lot
You're welcome to see it if you want and i can give you his number
Patriica

bought our doors from Catchart, bought floors, tiles and some electrical appliances from mullen domestic up the road from Cathcart, prices were far cheaper than down south but found Mullen to be hard to deal with regarding deliveries, returning calls etc. Cathcart were excellent to deal with.

Back