cost of laying a new lawn

ankles1972

Anyone know the approximate cost of getting a new lawn laid? Our garden is small, say 10 yards by 5. All we want is mostly lawn and a bed down one side. We got quoted over 3 grand. This seems crazy, we were budgeting less than half that. Needs rotavating but still. Quote included sleepers and plants which we can do without but still. Should this be possible for say 1200?

Got an acre done last year, 100 yo yos on seed, 39 on roundup, 150 for hire of rotavator, 300 labor.

Should this be possible for say 1200?

Absolutely....project manage it your self...loads of people advertise on gumtree etc...get them in to clear the site, then buy rolls of lawn and get them to fit it...would work out much cheaper..lots of stuff online on how to lay grass etc....

When you say "new lawn" - you want the lawn laid as grass on turf or just grown a new lawn from seed?

It's not huge job to do yourself... toughest part is rotavating / raking / rolling... if you can't do yourself, then I would recommend getting a few more quotes... €3K is VERY high...

Just note, that it also depends on the state and type of the soil, whether you need drainage put in, addition of top soil & the planting itself - what types of plants are being put in there? Did the quote cover any of this info?

Thanks for this. Soil is mostly Ok. Only problems are a couple of spots where there are blocks in the ground:( . These will have to be broken up. Was tempted to rake and plant myself all right, but thought I would get a few quotes to see how much to get it done properly. Was leaning towards grass rather than seeding as I have 3 small kids and doubt I could keep them off for four weeks.

Thanks for this. Soil is mostly Ok. Only problems are a couple of spots where there are blocks in the ground:( . These will have to be broken up. Was tempted to rake and plant myself all right, but thought I would get a few quotes to see how much to get it done properly. Was leaning towards grass rather than seeding as I have 3 small kids and doubt I could keep them off for four weeks.

Hire a rotovator (€50 tops for one day's hire, probably less). Rake the hell out of it to level it off and get rid of the stones. Then go to one of the many lawn suppliers for a quote. For your size garden, I'd say it will cost you a lot less than you think - 50 sq yds will come in at about €245.00 delivered. Its very simple to lay out and all you need to do afterwards is give it regular watering...

Good luck!

That €3k quote is nuts for such a small area. Rotovate and clear major stones /debris etc out. Make sure soil remaining is not compacted and allows good drainage. Check this with a hose soaking the ground, address any drainage problems you find. Poor drainage will kill grass. As Simon says rake it well and level. Water it again and leave it for a few days, check it's level, address bumps and lumps. Buy grass and lay.

About to do the very same myself. My Garden had an extensive vegetable patch and trees, all of which were dug out. However some of the plants have managed to grow up again over the last few weeks. How digging do I have to do to remove the worst of the roots? Will the rotovator manage the job or do I need heavier equipment? Don't mind doing the work and laying the sod, just don't want to see spuds breaking through later!!

Back