cost of footpath work plus drainage

galway_blow_in

need to replace 35 metres of footpath which is badly worn , also need to replace 25 metres of existing drain and replace with 100 mm wavin as currently have problems with flooding ( no danger of coming into house but drains are easily overwhelmed as the previous owners used coil pipe which is both too small and not suitable for the job full stop , this is just gravel so digging it up is not a big job , just involves digging a wider and deeper trench , also need a soak pit in the field ( which we own ) which involves drainage stone etc , this is just drainage piping at the front of the house , im not referring to waste pipes or anything , merely water that falls from the sky and collects in the outside area

got a quote for 3800 including vat , was not expecting it to be that high but i realise tradesmen are extremely difficult to get to do anything at the moment , expected the footpath work to be around 2K on the button but no more than a grand for the other work so im thinking 3k is about right , perhaps however the current climate means you are going to get gouged no matter what ?

Who's paying for materials, etc? If the contractor is paying for everything then it's not that bad in fairness. Is there good soakage in the field for soakpit and drainage of water into same? Are you sure one run of piping will be adequate fir taking water away and what wore away the footpath so much that it needs replacing? A lot of questions, it's not that I want to know but you need the answers yourself if you're doing it and want it right.

Who's paying for materials, etc? If the contractor is paying for everything then it's not that bad in fairness. Is there good soakage in the field for soakpit and drainage of water into same? Are you sure one run of piping will be adequate fir taking water away and what wore away the footpath so much that it needs replacing? A lot of questions, it's not that I want to know but you need the answers yourself if you're doing it and want it right.

yes , thats all in for everything , i had 3 k on the button in mind

yes the field has decent drainage , we have two acres with the house so we can drain out as far as need be and do a perculation area too if need be

half the house was built in 1973 , the rest in 1981 according to my documents , one imagines the footbath that is worn is the guts of forty years old ?

It really isn't too bad, it's enough but could be more too. Ask him will he give you a bit of a cut? Vat is a devil.

35 meters footpath,let's assume 2-4 inch deep will cost €2100,with supplies delivered (Dublin price).
It seems reasonable price too be fair.too keep costs lower would you not consider digging yourself ?

It really isn't too bad, it's enough but could be more too. Ask him will he give you a bit of a cut? Vat is a devil.

i had 3k plus vat in mind , his price is 3350 plus vat = 3800

i can claim back the vat as drainage counts as farm improvements , ive two acres and keep a very small number of sheep to keep the field around the house tidy so technically thats farm improvements

I'd go and get it done. Don't do like I did and hire a digger for using yourself, they look easy to work with but believe me they're not. You'll get the job done alright but it will drive you bonkers. There's a reason there's machine drivers and although they'll do it pretty quickly, you won't. Nothing worse than leaving jobs that need doing, they have a habit of building up on you. Good luck with it.

need to replace 35 metres of footpath which is badly worn , also need to replace 25 metres of existing drain and replace with 100 mm wavin as currently have problems with flooding ( no danger of coming into house but drains are easily overwhelmed as the previous owners used coil pipe which is both too small and not suitable for the job full stop , this is just gravel so digging it up is not a big job , just involves digging a wider and deeper trench , also need a soak pit in the field ( which we own ) which involves drainage stone etc , this is just drainage piping at the front of the house , im not referring to waste pipes or anything , merely water that falls from the sky and collects in the outside area

got a quote for 3800 including vat , was not expecting it to be that high but i realise tradesmen are extremely difficult to get to do anything at the moment , expected the footpath work to be around 2K on the button but no more than a grand for the other work so im thinking 3k is about right , perhaps however the current climate means you are going to get gouged no matter what ?

6 lenght of wavin 6X20= 120
Path 1.8m wide 4inch depth 1.8X35X.1=6.3m3 of concrete say 7m3@80euro =560euro
Set up timber etc 150 euro
Pencil in load of hardcore and load of drainage stone 480 euro.
Roughly 1300 euro for materials.
Labour digger etc?

Hope that helps

6 lenght of wavin 6X20= 120
Path 1.8m wide 4inch depth 1.8X35X.1=6.3m3 of concrete say 7m3@80euro =560euro
Set up timber etc 150 euro
Pencil in load of hardcore and load of drainage stone 480 euro.
Roughly 1300 euro for materials.
Labour digger etc?

Hope that helps

that makes the quoted price look very steep but thats how it is out there at the moment ?

Back