Cost of finishing 'Builder's Finish'

I’m not sure about the inevitability of kids wrecking things...mine don’t
Of course not, they have been perfectly brought up! ;) Though of course it's only a matter of time till one of their friends has too much to drink & vomits all over the sofa...

Before we all get into point scoring about how neat and obedient our darling children are, it was a valid point.

In most houses with kids, furniture and stuff gets more wear and tear damage than a house with just 2 adults. Its worth considering this when purchasing. Thats all, nothing to see here, move on folks.

Of course not, they have been perfectly brought up! ;) Though of course it's only a matter of time till one of their friends has too much to drink & vomits all over the sofa...

nobody is point scoring about how neat and obedient their kids are, one poster has just gotten defensive about it, as i said i'm not judging anyone rather challenging the inevitability of a wrecked house because of kids. For the record my parents were the same way, we never wrecked their house either.

Thanks for the responses.
We don’t have an extra 12K at the moment and also they are including Nordemende appliances and if we want different we have to pay the difference.
We also want timber floors in the bedrooms but they’ll only put down carpet.
Our plan is to get the common areas done and do the rest in the next 3-6 months.
Thanks to moving into a rented house with filthy sofas and dining tables we had to buy second hand sofa and dining and 2 mattresses, curtains, blinds. So once we do the floors and bathroom done we just need to buy a washer, fridge and cooker. Everything else can be done in the next couple of months.

After speaking to the developer about our reasons for not going with the fit out for the house, I was told that it is usually included in the price of the house as part of the mortgage. Surely that can't be right? Who in their right mind would get an extra 12K on top of their mortgage?

is it any different to buying a new house where all of this is already done (which is the case in a lot of new builds), its in the price somewhere.

After speaking to the developer about our reasons for not going with the fit out for the house, I was told that it is usually included in the price of the house as part of the mortgage. Surely that can't be right? Who in their right mind would get an extra 12K on top of their mortgage?

Rubbish... the price is the price but they want to add €12k to the price for 'additional extras'. If this was already part of the price you'd being paying the additional €12k as part of the price, have no choice in the matter and that would be it. Developer is probably miffed that you won't go for the extras for the very cheap, reasonable €12k. :rolleyes:

I reckon they're miffed because they'd have charged you €12k and the items would have probably only cost them €6k... extra profit lost on you.

If you stick to your guns - it will take time to fit curtains, carpets, kitchen etc. but you'll have control over what you want, quality etc. and you'll do it at a pace you can afford.

When I was buying my first house (in an estate), there was an allowance for wardrobes and a fireplace. I could either put in their rubbish or take the money off the final house price. As it happens, I took their crap becuase what they'd have given me off was very little. And I didn't care about wardrobes and whata fireplace looked like at the time. :)

Blackrock that’s different if they advertise the house as say 400k walk in with no other option. If the house is 385k and then you want an extra 10-15k when there is an option to do it in your own time then it is ridiculous to add to an already expensive mortgage and the benefactors will be the bank and the developer.

Paddy he didn’t sound happy on the phone. Told me how fantastic nordemende are as a brand etc. We are going with the standard wardrobe and fireplace as it will be too much hassle to do otherwise.
It’ll probably cost us a bit more to get it all done but it will hopefully be done the way we like I hope.

Blackrock that’s different if they advertise the house as say 400k walk in with no other option. If the house is 385k and then you want an extra 10-15k when there is an option to do it in your own time then it is ridiculous to add to an already expensive mortgage and the benefactors will be the bank and the developer.

it amounts to the same thing really but if you have the time and think you can do it better yourself then go for it,

one other thing to factor in is what work you want done before you move in, certain things are better done when there is no furniture in the house and or flooring already in place and if you want proper woooden floors make sure they havent secured the skirting etc already.

it amounts to the same thing really but if you have the time and think you can do it better yourself then go for it,

one other thing to factor in is what work you want done before you move in, certain things are better done when there is no furniture in the house and or flooring already in place and if you want proper woooden floors make sure they havent secured the skirting etc already.
Will the tiler have to take off the skirting? Is that a lot of hassle?

Will the tiler have to take off the skirting? Is that a lot of hassle?

Not a big problem once he is careful prying it off. It may be held on with adhesive and/or steel nails. Some people screw on the skirting boards so that they can remove them easily for repainting them and walls.

Or... a painter would just run a line of masking tape over the top of the skirting and away they'd go.

Tiling bathrooms etc. you may want to think of getting rid of skirting altogether and tiling to the floor. I've done it and it gives a cleaner finish. I've a bathroom with skirting left on and the grout has separated fro between the tile and the skirting, which doesn't look great.

Generally covered by the skirting, a tiler wouldn't need to be concerned.

i was saying i wasnt making reference to tiling, rather wooden floors.

anyone laying a wooden floor properly will have to remove skirting, its its secured firmly can be an issue

if its laminate it wont matter

i was saying i wasnt making reference to tiling, rather wooden floors.

I guess I was confused by your choice of starting the sentence with 'not a tiler'.

if its laminate it wont matter

Laminate also needs some room to expand, being a floating floor that allowance will always be around the edges. ~10mm is advised for most standard room sizes,

Back