Cost of electric heater - help with the maths!

Brenno123

hi all just want to make sure I am doing my sums correct. someone maybe able to help me.
im looking to get a plug in electric heater as a supplementary heat source to one of my rooms this winter (it is already heated by a rad but can still be nippy). I know electric heaters are expensive to run but I will only have it on for max 2 hours per day so I want to calculate estimated cost.

I understand the unit of electricity is the KwH...at 15cent per KwH (per my bill)?

So am I correct in saying if I was to buy a 1000Watt (1Kw) heater that I will pay 15cent per hour to run it? a 2000 Watt (2Kw) heater would cost 30 cent an hour to run? etc etc?

So if I have the 1KW heater plugged in for 2 hours per day it would cost me 30cent per day?

Apologies...bad on the Maths here..am I missing something.thanks!

Just to be a bit pedantic about your query, remember to get a more accurate cost per day, you would have to factor in the cost of the heater also. As I dont like those electric heaters ( the kids forget to turn them off) and two hours turn into 3 and 4 when really cold, I have the heating on longer but with the rads turned off in rooms not in use.

Thanks for responses...upfront cost is not too bad...ive shopped around and they are more reasonable than i thought..even the good brands so no worries on that front. Im also working all day till about 730 in evening so ill only b using it for a couple of hours in evening before bed. Ill get a timer one too so i wont forget. Plus im a bachelor!...no kids to worry about haha....

Any ideas on what model make i shud go for?

Just one thing to bear in mind -- that 15c per kWh unit on your bill is almost certainly ex-vat, so don't forget to add 13.5%.

If you want to get anal about it, (Total electricity bill) divided by (Total Electricity Units (KWh)on the bill) times (the KWh consumed by the heater for the corresponding period) = Total Burdened Cost of Electricity Consumed by the heater.

If you want to add depreciation of the heater to the cost use something like, (Annual Heater Depreciation Cost) divided by (365) times (Billable Days from Electricity Bill).

That'll keep you outta the pub!!

Back