Cost of church for wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
gauloise said:
Here is one of the links:
http://www.kilbarrackfoxfieldparish.ie/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=147&Itemid=2

Reverting back to original poster, I understand that there is Tax relief for large donations, this is why a number of churches are looking into abolishing weekly contributions etc.. in favour of an anual donation.
If you mean [broken link removed] tax relief then just to clarify - the recipient charity and not the donor benefits from tax relief on such donations. I think that self employed individuals or companies can write certain charitable donations off against tax though.

Yes Clubman, I should have been clearer, the church is the beneficiary but the donor could reduce his/her initial donation (if in the 42% tax band) and allow the church to recoup the relief hence increasing actual donation.

I don't understand the relevance of changing from weekly/monthly to annual donations since multiple donations throughout the year can be aggregated for the purposes of the charity claiming such relief. E.g. it's all the same if it's 12 x €21 or 1 x €252 - the relief can be claimed as long as the aggregate annual donation is €250 or more and the donor completes a CHY2 form an returns it to the charity.

The problem with this is that many just throw change into basket and how do you go about accounting for this with donors?

gauloise said:
The problem with this is that many just throw change into basket and how do you go about accounting for this with donors?
Please note my earlier comments-how has this any relevance to the issue of the cost of a church for a wedding?

It annoys the hell out of me when people start giving out about the couple of hundred they have to pay the church when they are willing to pay an equivalent amount for a bloody cake!! Especially as the people giving out are only 'using' the church in the first place for their white wedding & will prob never enter it again until their first child in christened.
Sorry rant over

Actually there's no reason for people to spend more than about €5 on these days if they shop around.

just caught this chat now. Re, priests, vows etc. Diocesan priests do not take any vows, they take a promise of obedience to their bishop. No more, no less. They are paid a weekly wage, have VHI cover, and social welfare benefits also. Their salary increases with the number of years in service. I believe a Parish Priest's salary is about one and a half times that of a senior curate. So, when a PP retires, he reverts to the salary of a senior curate, plus Social Welfare contributory pension.

The next post that relates to the wider issue of priests' benefits etc. outside of the cost of a wedding will be deleted and maybe the thread will be locked.

I don't care either way-I just want the thread to stay on topic.

I will say it again-people are free to start threads on wider issues elsewhere.

Thanks.

daughter is getting married in June-average price of dresses when shopping all over Ireland was E3000; average price of cakes from reputable cake businesess and I mean average is E650; brides shoes E250--white satin, only wearable for one day; flowers?????? could be E500.
Priest and church use ("rental") for rehearsal/for wedding day; for several meetings before, at night after work, to get help with arranging ceremony/readings etc... a miserly "donation"!!!--I cannot believe one peson only gave E50 book voucher!!! I think sum of E350 is about right.....
Its not that they either ask for it nor seek it, it is just FAIR, despite their meagre salary, as it is extra to what their normal duties are.
Its the rest that annoy me--I hear lots of altar kids turn up as they are supposed to get money!!(who says? we don't need them nor did we ask for them, nor is there space for htem in this little church.(Should we say loudly in advance "no altar kids please?"
We are providing our own musicians which are family and friends whom we will give gifts to in thanks; there is no organist in thie church -just local groups who sing, and whom we wont need. Are we foregetting anything we need to pay for in relation to the church?--and we do NOT begrudge this.

cibby said:
daughter is getting married in June-average price of dresses when shopping all over Ireland was E3000; average price of cakes from reputable cake businesess and I mean average is E650; brides shoes E250--white satin, only wearable for one day; flowers?????? could be E500.
There are options available to people to avoid paying this amount of money on the day. If they don't exercise such options then that's their own problem.

cibby said:
Priest and church use ("rental") for rehearsal/for wedding day; for several meetings before, at night after work, to get help with arranging ceremony/readings etc... a miserly "donation"!!!--I cannot believe one peson only gave E50 book voucher!!! I think sum of E350 is about right.....
Its not that they either ask for it nor seek it, it is just FAIR, despite their meagre salary, as it is extra to what their normal duties are.
Its the rest that annoy me--I hear lots of altar kids turn up as they are supposed to get money!!(who says? we don't need them nor did we ask for them, nor is there space for htem in this little church.(Should we say loudly in advance "no altar kids please?"
We are providing our own musicians which are family and friends whom we will give gifts to in thanks; there is no organist in thie church -just local groups who sing, and whom we wont need. Are we foregetting anything we need to pay for in relation to the church?--and we do NOT begrudge this.

As someone who is recently married, I have to dispute your comment that average price of a wedding dress is €3000... your daughter must be looking at Vera Wang in BT's...the average in Dublin I found is €1200-€1400. Re shoes...she should pick up a pair of bridal shoes for about €100 in somewhere like Lantz or Dance World. A bit of shopping around will vastly reduce these costs....especially if bought online. Some wedding dresses by american designers that retail for €1200 here can be bought online for about €400. Wedding dress samples are also usually sold off twice a year for 1/3 of the retail price.

Does the €500 estimate for flowers cover the bridal party & the church? If so you might want to increase it.

Re the altar servers...ask the priest if any are necessary...if so €20 a head should suffice

Resident organists usually ask for a fee...if they are playing or if you are bringing your own organist. They don't get paid for playing at mass so weddings & funerals are a source of income. As far as I know they don't charge if other musicians are involved..string quartets or whatever.

Other costs: Donation to the sacristan, candles for the candle lighting ceremony..we got personalised ones from www.giftcorporation.com. which are a nice memento of the day IMO...but 3 plain ones will do just as well, printing cost of mass booklets (if required)...thats it I think.

The forums at www.weddingsonline.ie are a great source of info for anyone getting married.

E650 average price for a wedding cake Cibby? :eek: :eek:

My mum is making ours. :)
She can do you one for E300 :D

Ok, since there are to many posts that are not related to the Cost of church for wedding, I've locked the thread.

Feel free to start threads on:

• The cost of wedding dresses and cakes
  • The way in which priests are remunerated
  • Claiming tax releif on donations to the church
  • Any other topic raised in the thread that was unrelated to the original question
elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back