Cost of changing from oil to gas

peteb

These things are completely outside my comprehension and there is only so much i can learn from random bits online so need a complete answer!

My parents house is heated by an oil boiler. So big tank in the garden and a outside part of the house housing an oil burner or whatever is required. Big dirty yolk. It would appear the oil burner is on the way out and they are considering replacing this.

I would have thought at this point it would probably be more cost effective to switch to gas it. My thinking being if they are having to get a new oil burner they may as well just be getting a gas boiler. Apart from the cost of getting connected by Bord Gais which i gather is about 250, is there any other differences?

My auld lad will have no interest in what he will save over 10 years. He'll just be considering the upfront cost.

Thanks

gas is cleaner, I think it might be slightly cheaper per kW/h currently but this will vary with the fluctuations in the price of gas or oil. The boiler will be much smaller and more efficient (though a new oil boiler would also be more efficient than your current boiler). As for the cost of the boiler and installation, you'd have to get some quotes for comparison.

Yeah its the cost and installation I'm concerned with getting an idea of. I dont want to trouble someone with giving me a price if its crazy and will never happen.

Yeah its the cost and installation I'm concerned with getting an idea of. I dont want to trouble someone with giving me a price if its crazy and will never happen.

you'll have to get a quote from someone to replace the oil boiler anyway, just get a quote for gas as well for comparison. No one is going to be offended if you don't subsequently go through with it, providing quotes is just part of business.

any one care to recommend anyone they've used in the past? Its South County Dublin.

Back