cost of car tax

villa 1

I've just taxed my car and it cost 580euros for the year (07 1.9tdi). If I had bought this car a year later the tax would be 130 euros. This is a total rip off. Did the tree hugging greens have anything to do with this? The emissions from my car are after all the same as from a car a year younger. The tax for my car in the UK is 130 pounds sterling and over there they don't have to drive on goat paths either. Why are all the 2007 and earlier owners of low emission cars having to pay this ridiculous amount?

I've just taxed my car and it cost 580euros for the year (07 1.9tdi). If I had bought this car a year later the tax would be 130 euros. This is a total rip off. Did the tree hugging greens have anything to do with this? The emissions from my car are after all the same as from a car a year younger. The tax for my car in the UK is 130 pounds sterling and over there they don't have to drive on goat paths either. Why are all the 2007 and earlier owners of low emission cars having to pay this ridiculous amount?
I think you've got this This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language about face. The road tax was always at that rate. It was those tree hugging hippies who reduced it for low carbon vehicles. It is a sop to the industry and owners of high carbon vehicles that the tax rates only applied to new (08) vehicles.

I'm in the same boat, alas. Gutted handing over 600 odd each year!

I have to pay 580 instead of 130 for the same car, that is one year older. I don't think that I have got it This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language about face!!:rolleyes:

you do have it wrong - howitzer has explained it perfectly. blame FF for having the tax on the engine size for so long rather than on emissions which the Greens brought in. maybe you should have held off on buying it for a year.

i dish out over €1566 on mine. in the past month i've had 3 punctures because of the state of the roads near where i live. not very happy!

I'm thankful that I can cycle to work most days, the only time I need the car is for college after work. Price of petrol, insurance and road tax have sky rocketed thanks to green taxes.

I feel very sorry for people living in the commuter belt with no choice but to drive their cars.

car tax is and has been an appalling ripoff. I run a 1.9 diesel also and simply cannot afford to upgrade. The whole green agenda related to cars is madness. surely it costs far more to manufacture a new 'low emissions' car than to keep an older one running. In any case my care is not that emissions unfriendly, yet my substantial car tax keeps going up each year with less and less benefit. My local roads are also designed purely for mountain goats. Ive had to fork out thousands for new tyres and suspension this year and am convinced the state of the roads is largely to blame

Back