Cost of BER for existing dwellings

Lak

As the time for the rating of existing homes approaches on Jan 1st, could anyone tell me how much it is estimated a full BER will cost on an average sized home

Depends on location and the size of the dwelling. Is it a detached or semi detached?

Anywhere between €250 - €500 I would suggest.

€270.00 Incl VAT

Joejoe

For the averaged sized new house (which was the question) this figure is correct. The area in which (assuming you mean county) does not effect the price. BER cert for new houses are done off a set of plans and specification.

Joejoe

Last edited by a moderator:
BER cert for existing houses are done on a set of plans and specification.

Joejoe

I think only new dwellings can be done from the plans/drawings, existing dwellings require a site survey. Lots of other questions also answered here.
[broken link removed]

The area in which (assuming you mean county) does not effect the price. BER cert for existing houses are done on a set of plans and specification.

Joejoe[/quote]

The county does effect the price in the sense that there are more regestered BER surveyors in some counties then others. For example the last time I looked There were more registered in Cork then Dublin. Given that there are more dwellings that require BER certification in Dublin then Cork it would be safe to assume that a BER in Dublin would be more expensive.
However with this in mind it is an open and competive market and prices may vary quiet a bit.

The area in which (assuming you mean county) does not effect the price. BER cert for existing houses are done on a set of plans and specification.

Joejoe

The county does effect the price in the sense that there are more regestered BER surveyors in some counties then others. For example the last time I looked There were more registered in Cork then Dublin. Given that there are more dwellings that require BER certification in Dublin then Cork it would be safe to assume that a BER in Dublin would be more expensive.
However with this in mind it is an open and competive market and prices may vary quiet a bit.[/QUOTE]

Many BER assessors cover a full province, so Dublin should be well services as will most areas.

My previous post should have said New houses not existing:eek:

Joejoe

The reason I ask is that I have taken the new build course passed the examination and am in receipt of my fetac diploma. Last weekend I undertook the two day course for existing propertys but the one thing no one seemed to know with any degree of clarity was the related charges for assessing an existing dwelling, indeed the tutor asked us to write on a slip of paper what each individual considered a fair price, theese ranged from €250 to €550. I thought somewhere in between was adequate.
For those that have completed the two courses are you aware as of last week SEI have announced that any person having completed the new build course, has passed this and holds the fetac diploma and can show evidence of having undertaken the course for existing dwellings will be exempt from having to undertake the national completion exam as this has been deffered untill April of next year. However this only applies to those who have in their possession the Fetac diploma, regardless of if they have also undertaken the existing dwellings course,those still waiting for the diploma to be sent to them, can not register to assess existing.
What I would also like to know is if existing dwellings can now be assessed and relevant cert be issued by SEI before Jan 1st ?

mysurvey.ie

We are Chartered Engineers & Energy assessors. We have been qualified assessors since 2006 and have completed assessments on new dwellings and existing dwellings. we recently were chosen and completed assessments on behalf of SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland).

All our assessments arte completed by Chartered Engineers with a minimum of 15 years experience. our reports are always accompanied by recommendations / consultancy.

Our charges for existing dwellings are as follows,

Apartment to 60 sq m €175
Apartment / House to 80 Sq m €200
House to 100 sq m €250
House to 150 Sq m €325

All prices include VAT and the SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) Registration fee.

John McNamara

Thats a real Ryanair model your going with there John.

You must have hedged your diesel at a rock bottom price!

mysurvey.ie

We are Chartered Engineers & Energy assessors. We have been qualified assessors since 2006 and have completed assessments on new dwellings and existing dwellings. we recently were chosen and completed assessments on behalf of SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland).

All our assessments arte completed by Chartered Engineers with a minimum of 15 years experience. our reports are always accompanied by recommendations / consultancy.

House to 100 sq m €250
House to 150 Sq m €325

All prices include VAT and the SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) Registration fee.

John McNamara

what extras are on top of these john??

what distances do you travel for these quotes?

is there extra if the dwelling comprises 1 or more extensions?

mysurvey.ie

House to 100 sq m €250
House to 150 Sq m €325

John McNamara
John,
All assessor are obliged to provide recommendations for improving the certification as part of the package.

What other providers are out there and what are the other prices like?

Joejoe

As previously mentioned in a previous thread....could mysurveys.ie clearly state their engineers qualifications.....as this would normally be stated on the website....however i cannot find it:(

Are landing fees included in the above prices:p

I contacted mysurvey this morning, they were very helpful giving full details of
qualifications and experience.
Please clarify.....perhaps mysurvey.ie might clarify & for peace of mind for other AAM posters & update their website.

Last edited:
Back