Cost of a Rock Shandy: <rant about the price of soft drinks in pubs>

Re: Cost of a Rock Shandy

Alcohol is cheap!!!! Is it? I hadnt noticed, but my wallet does, and thankfully I am not one who indulges in this vice (or pleasure) frequently, ask a visitor to our shores if he thinks acohol is cheap and you may be surprised at the expletive laden contradiction to your ....errrr.... contradictory above post

I drink in an Irish social club in Nottingham when I visit, a fiver exactly buys me two pints and a glass, now thats cheap, and could very easily be my drug of everyday choice.....I love you Ryan Air !!!

Alcohol is cheap!!!! Is it? I hadnt noticed, but my wallet does, and thankfully I am not one who indulges in this vice (or pleasure) frequently, ask a visitor to our shores if he thinks acohol is cheap and you may be surprised at the expletive laden contradiction to your ....errrr.... contradictory above post

It depends where the visitors come from, in the Nordics they pay extortionate amounts for alcohol, so Dublin/Ireland is a lot cheaper. I Paid 55 euro for 3 bottles of Budweiser and 1 Guinness in an Irish bar in Oslo

We might have the most expensive alcoholic and no-alcoholic prices in the EU15 but alcohol is cheaper in the pub than nonalcoholic drink, that is what I can’t understand. So what I argue is that there are enough margins in the non-alcoholics that at least level the playing field.
It depends where the visitors come from, in the Nordics they pay extortionate amounts for alcohol, so Dublin/Ireland is a lot cheaper. I Paid 55 euro for 3 bottles of Budweiser and 1 Guinness in an Irish bar in Oslo
Let’s face it, the drinking culture in the Nordics is totally different than in this country. It’s more social in the Nordics and also their laws are stronger in respect of alcohol than ours. I remember when you could only buy alcohol in state run shops against providing your ID in the Nordics. The prices there are so high because the government uses taxation and licensing laws to control the alcohol consumption. And anybody who goes out in the Nordics will know how different closing time in a Nordic pub is from down here. Not to mention that they have a 0 alcohol driving limit.

While our government goes the opposite way, lowering the taxes so that we can drink our sorrows away with our favorite drug of choice.

Thats why bootlegging is a national occupation. When I lived in the UK it was worth my while to drive 100 odd miles to Dover, take the Eurotunnel to Calais and drive up to Belgium (Adinkerke) and buy tobacco products for my family. I'd stop at a local hotel, have a steak meal, a couple of pints and a coffee. Less than £15.00 for the lot. We used to give the lady £20 each as we got great value and she took our sterling. From there I'd stop off in Calais and pick up 30 odd trays of 24*500ml Stella Artois for £9.75 each...for my family. There is no pricing consistency across the EU even though the currency is all the same?

When I lived in the UK it was worth my while to drive 100 odd miles to Dover, take the Eurotunnel to Calais and drive up to Belgium (Adinkerke) and buy tobacco products for my family quote]

This bit put a very funny picture in my mind.

"Hi Kids, Daddy's home", "400 B&H for you Johnny and.. Oh yes, 200 Silk Cut for you my little princess"...

I know you didn't mean it like that. :)

Back