Cost of a (pre puchase) Surveyor

Green

Just wondering what people have paid to get a pre-purchase house survey done. Recommendations always welcome, based in the south-east.

Thanks

Notice you had no response to your query Green! I am interested in this also. I was quoted €600 + VAT (€138) = €738 :eek: by an Engineer to look at a property (small cottage and blockwork outbuildings) in East Mayo. It seems excessive. Anyone have experience or knowledge of the going-rate for such an inspection - which I suppose is an hour of the professionals' time + travel-time and fuel - in Summer 2015?

which I suppose is an hour of the professionals' time + travel-time and fuel - in Summer 2015?

He also has to write up the report, pay for the rent, light and heat of the building he operates out of, pay for indemnity insurance, pay for training to ensure that he stays up to date in his profession, pay himself.

Hi Marie

You should not get a survey done until you have gone sale agreed on the property.

It's a while since I had a survey done, but I do remember the surveyor quoting me a price for a full written report. It may have been for a house which was going to auction. He told me that there was no point in writing a full report if I didn't get the house at auction. So he did his survey and gave me his views on it. I didn't get the house, so he only charged me for the inspection and oral report.

A valuation seems to be around €150. A structural survey should be a lot dearer. I would think that €600 seems about right. How long would it take to get to and from the property? An engineer is a professional - presumably charges around €150 an hour if he is good. Maybe more.

Brendan

Valuation is generally around the €150 mark.

I got a handful of quotes from different surveyors last month when getting it done on house I had gone sale agreed on. Cheapest was €400 + VAT (so €492 in total) an ddearest €500 + VAT (€615). Average would be €450 + VAT depending on area.

We used these guys 9 years ago based on a recommendation on AAM at the time.
http://www.mcgovernsurveyors.ie/about

I've no idea what their current price is but they were extremely detailed, efficient and professional. Hoping to use them again shortly. The report at the time was 32 pages long and so detailed that I think €6/700 is actually very reasonable for such a service.

I used Kennedy's for a detailed structural survey of a second hand house a couple of years ago and I think it cost about €500 for the survey, detailed report and an hour or so discussion about the report contents and remedial work being recommended.

http://www.kennedyandassoc.ie/

He also has to write up the report, pay for the rent, light and heat of the building he operates out of, pay for indemnity insurance, pay for training to ensure that he stays up to date in his profession, pay himself.
Hi SBarrett - I have no problem at all with paying for professional expertise but neither do I want to personally fund ALL the surveyors CPD:p
The fee seems high as the property is not a 2,000 sq.ft McMansion..........just a humble little bog-standard 30's cottage. In addition there is no option of a Specimen Report and I am asked for full payment in advance of issuing the report.

Brendan thank you for your helpful advice on the timing. I have decided to defer the survey.

Clubman and Newbie - thank you for the resource links. Your responses helpfully illuminate what is on offer in the sector and I can now "shop around" .

Back