Healthcare costs - not insurance Cost (cheapest place to buy) and tax allowance for Freestyle Libre blood glucose monitoring system

Up Rovers

Hi All,

Don't want this thread taken off track by wandering into medical matters :)

Just wondering if anyone can confirm if tax relief is allowed on the purchase of these monitors for someone with medically diagnosed Type 2 diabetes.

Any recommendations for the cheapest place to buy as they do work out quite expensive. Would prefer if possible not to buy on-line to be on the safe side.

Hi,
Yes, a Glucometer qualifies for tax relief at standard rate (20%). You can claim tax relief even on things like replacement batteries, or other equipment that's recommended by a health professional.

Because diabetes is a lifelong condition, you can also claim back the VAT so long as its recommended by your GP.

I can't help with price, but I understand these are fairly standard prices and can be purchased directly from Abbott

I'd recommend you contact Diabetes Ireland for information starting with the following summary which shows other entitlements

I know you haven't asked about this but have you looked at Dexcom? Game changer in this house as for Libre you have to actively check what your readings are but with Dexcom you have constant sight including the info on if bloods are going up or down. We have it on a Fitbit too so its as easy as looking at the time to see what your sugars are.

Dexcom is eligible for benefit under health insurance as seen as a glucometer - depending on your policy it might cost very little over the year.

Hi kitty81,

Hadn't heard about the Dexcom unit before. Just wondering how much they cost as not seeing much on Google for prices? So you think VHI might cover it to some extent on day-to-day expenses?

Thanks.

Hi kitty81,

Hadn't heard about the Dexcom unit before. Just wondering how much they cost as not seeing much on Google for prices? So you think VHI might cover it to some extent on day-to-day expenses?

Thanks.
Dexcom, i believe, should be the go to instead of accu-checks etc. It works out at roughly €2,500 for a years supply but if you hold a Vhi policy, it should cost you €300 overall. You claim it under the medical and surgical appliance part of your policy. Just check your overall limit on that to make sure you will have all but €300 covered.

Again, only my opinion, but we wouldn't be without it now. Highly recommend it .

Have you LTI card?

Yes.

I mentioned the Freestyle Libre to the pharmacist recently and she did agree that they are expensive but she did not confirm that they are covered by the card.

I think the glucometer is not even covered by the card. I know I got mine from the hospital and I think I read in some of the literature provided that the card does not cover it.

Looking here they don't get a mention either.

As far as I know, only children get Libre on their LTI but there is such difference across each hospital, who knows!

Dexcom, i believe, should be the go to instead of accu-checks etc. It works out at roughly €2,500 for a years supply but if you hold a Vhi policy, it should cost you €300 overall. You claim it under the medical and surgical appliance part of your policy. Just check your overall limit on that to make sure you will have all but €300 covered.

Again, only my opinion, but we wouldn't be without it now. Highly recommend it .

Hi kitty81,

Thanks for that info. Just checked my VHI policy and as you thought I am covered for up to €3,000 per year with an excess of €300.

They do mention to check with them for details on eligible appliances.

Is there much difference between the two systems. I was doing a comparison here but obviously its biased because its done by Libre.

@kitty81 are you actually getting Vhi to cover Dexcom? I can’t see any reference to a medical and surgical appliance limit on my policy.

Hi kitty81,

Thanks for that info. Just checked my VHI policy and as you thought I am covered for up to €3,000 per year with an excess of €300.

They do mention to check with them for details on eligible appliances.

Is there much difference between the two systems. I was doing a comparison here but obviously its biased because its done by Libre.
I have no experience of Libre so my opinion is probably biased based on what I think it offers.

My understanding is that you put a sensor on your arm and when you feel like it, you scan that part of the arm for a blood sugar reading. What I dont like about that idea is you have to be conscious enough to actively do this and if you're too low/high the damage is done.

With dexcom (i should point out that I'm not the diabetic!) You have a transmitter on your arm and it gives an app on your phone a constant reading along with info on if the sugars are going up or down so you can correct it before it becomes a problem. No scanning, its just there! In addition, our diabetic wears a watch so rarely even has to look at the phone for the info. Phone will alert when levels hit your predefined limits and not only that but I have the 'follow' app on my phone so I always have a reading too, along with warnings when too high/low.

I find such peace of mind having this as we had many low episodes at night which are a thing of the past now with the warning kicking in before the low happens

Only certain phones and watches are compatible to work and as new phones/watches come out, it takes some time before Dexcom themselves include them to the compatible list! There's still plenty of options but if you are into the newest devices as they come out it may not suit - you can get a separate device but thats just another thing to carry around with you!

Dishwasher- A glucometer is listed as an approved medical and surgical appliance with Vhi. Yes I've had cover

I think its section 5 where you see the medical and surgical appliance if looking at your table of benefits. Its on all policies but the overall limit varies, generally a €300 excess

Thanks very much for that kitty81, very informative. So much to learn about diabetes and its management. Its a minefield but ignore at one's peril.

@kitty81 are you actually getting Vhi to cover Dexcom? I can’t see any reference to a medical and surgical appliance limit on my policy.

When I downloaded my table of benefits on my policy with VHI this is what I see under Section 5 - Cancer Care and Other Benefits

G Other benefits in Section 5
Vhi Healthcare approved medical and surgical appliances - subject to an excess of
€300 per member per year (contact us for details of eligible appliances) - €3,000 per member per year

Yes, thats your cover for medical and surgical appliances. You have to pay upfront and claim back, less the excess.

Dexcom i think as a standard do a monthly option but we went with the annual option and claimed it in one go.

As far as I'm aware they do a 'trial' option to see if it suits your needs.

Separately I know 4 adults with Dexcom - 2 covered by LTI, 2 not covered! 4 different hospitals - figure that one out!

Dishwasher- A glucometer is listed as an approved medical and surgical appliance with Vhi. Yes I've had cover

Maybe I'm wrong here but I think the (probably costs about €60 from pharmacies and not covered by LTI form, I got mine from hospital) is actually just the small machine that takes the strips and measures the blood reading whereas the Dexcom and Freestyle Libre are different types of machines altogether and a lot more expensive.

I agree that Dexcom and Libre are far superior to what you are given however they are still glucometers in that they tell you what your bloods are at.

There's no other function to them!

Back