Cost-Benefit Calculation - Pay back time on Solar Tubes

onq

I spoke to a colleague the other day who gave me pause for thought.

€7,000 estimate for installing the tubes with and expected replacement cycle of 7-10 years.

That's a write down of between €700 to €1,000 PER ANNUM for heating your water a few degrees.

Has anyone ever done a cost benefit calculation on Solar Tubes?

TIA

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

I haven't but I've always thought that the installation costs were too high to expect any kind of sensible return in investment.

I'm currently working on a two-up/two-down farmhouse restoration (in the hope of downsizing efficiently) but have totally dismissed solar tubes.

I'd love to install a wind turbine ... but again, it doesn't make financial sense.

i did one a year or so ago, you need to pay about 2k for them to be worth while if you have access to natural gas. Anything over that is a waste of money.
Its pretty easy to calculate what they are worth
They provide 50% of your hot water (at best)
How much how water do you need ~ 6000kWh on average per household, 50%= need about 3600kWh of gas in a boiler for 3000kWh of useful heat

cost of 3600kWh @ 5 cent per kWh (gas) = 175 euro per year savings

if you heat with oil ~ 10cent per kWh ~ 350 euro per year savings ~ so you can pay more.

One advantage is that you are partially hedging against fuel price increases for the next ten years

Two assumptions here that I wouldn't agree with;

€7,000 for a system replaced with tubes replaced after 7 to 10 years

Most companies are doing installation for about €4K to €5K, often with a grant knocking that back to €3,200. Most tubes are expected to last 15 to 20 years, with some companies offering a 20 year warranty. Flatplate systems are expected to last 40 years or more.

Gas at 5c per KwHr

This may be true if the boiler is operating at 90% plus efficiency, which it may do in winter (when the system heats the water at the same time as it is heating the radiators). However, in summer, most heating systems are much less efficient, running for short periods at a time, usually heating an outside boiler, all of the pipework between it and the house, just to bring a 120L cylinder up to 60C. At this time, solar works best, and your central heating is at its lowest efficiency.

I mean the cost of gas is 5cent/kWh, the Eff is accounted for in 20% more gas. (3600 vs 3000kWh).
Typically, when dwellings are analysed, half of the energy is consumed in space heating and half in hot water. roughly. If this changed by 10%, it doesn't really alter the economics significently.

7k is not an uncommon quote, I know a guy who was quoted 12k!

Its important to know just how much these technologies will save you in a dwelling, which would be roughly 1/4 of your heating bills.

Last edited:
As someone who has thought of solar, and who has read countless articles on solar and wind, most of the 'experts' seem to think that these things will never pay for themselves, as they will need replacing, maintenance or parts before they pay for their initial cost. And for that reason I think they will continue to be a niche market.

I think they are a great thing if you are Eco-friendly, but you can heat a hell of a lot of hot water for €7k.

Thank you for all your replies, its certainly given me pause for thought.

It strongly suggests that designing a well-insulated building to benefit from passive solar gain and using massive thermal stores within it would be a reasonable way to go as opposed to using the panels.

The purists will argue a both-and-solution, but most of my clients don't have an unlimited budget and my job is to advise them no their best return on investment.

No-maintainance insulation with appropriately orientated and sized windows and rooflights seem to be the way to go for best pay back over time, with anything that needs a pump or an electricity supply at the second tier in terms of payback.

Look forward to hearing any more examples of actual costs and thanks for those that are already posted.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

It strongly suggests that designing a well-insulated building to benefit from passive solar gain and using massive thermal stores within it would be a reasonable way to go as opposed to using the panels.

Agree, the current economics suggest they fall into the category of eco-junk!

Agree, the current economics suggest they fall into the catagory of eco-junk!
+1 - like you, I've read up on solar and wind - and try to keep tabs on them (in the hope that they will become cost effective) - but the payback simply isn't there right now as far as i'm concerned.

Also considered solar panels but decided, on cost, to heat the water on the low night rate tariff electricity. It is timer to come on for 3 hours before 6 am and has enough water heated to last the day.

+1 - like you, I've read up on solar and wind - and try to keep tabs on them (in the hope that they will become cost effective) - but the payback simply isn't there right now as far as i'm concerned.

I'm thinking the same...otherwise countries which get a lot more sunshine than us would be using them extensively.

ONQ, I was under the impression that the problem with using solar energy in Ireland is that there is no facility to sell excess electricity back to the national grid. As far as I am aware this facility exists in the UK. So at times when it is particularly sunny, you are not wasting energy because you can make money by selling it to an electricity provider.

ONQ, I was under the impression that the problem with using solar energy in Ireland is that there is no facility to sell excess electricity back to the national grid.

The solar systems under discussion here do not generate electricity, they heat water directly.

Grid buyback is available in Ireland, you'll need photovoltaic panels to utilise solar energy to generate electricity. These are even more expensive than solar water heating panels.
Leo

Grid buyback is available in Ireland, you'll need photovoltaic panels to utilise solar energy to generate electricity. These are even more expensive than solar water heating panels.
Leo

Could you point me to more information on the 'grid buyback'? Slim

As quentin has articulated over on boards.ie - a feed-in tariff exists - but the rates are paltry and are only guaranteed for 5 years. If there was any foresight, they would be looking at higher rates and a longer-term guarantee. People need to be secure in the knowledge that they can achieve payback.

There is a very generous feed-in tarriff in the UK (with tax-free earnings and a long term guarantee on the tariff) - which makes the decision to run with solar a no-brainer.

ONQ, I was under the impression that the problem with using solar energy in Ireland is that there is no facility to sell excess electricity back to the national grid. As far as I am aware this facility exists in the UK. So at times when it is particularly sunny, you are not wasting energy because you can make money by selling it to an electricity provider.

I wasn't sure about this but I see Leo has done his usual excellent job in succinctly supplying all relevant information - in three sentences!

I'll have to keep practicing LOL!

ONQ.

As quentin has articulated over on boards.ie - a feed-in tariff exists - but the rates are paltry and are only guaranteed for 5 years. If there was any foresight, they would be looking at higher rates and a longer-term guarantee. People need to be secure in the knowledge that they can achieve payback.

There is a very generous feed-in tarriff in the UK (with tax-free earnings and a long term guarantee on the tariff) - which makes the decision to run with solar a no-brainer.

(nods)

Does anyone know how to store electricity in large quantities for rainy day apart from

(i) batteries (hazardous materials, leakage and loss of charge over time and
(ii) pumping it up to a lake (evaporation and mechanical losses)

I'm thinking chemical storage of separated hydrogen and oxygen in fuel cells as possibly being one useful way of doing things, but the manufacturing process is necessarily risky and the storage medium is expensive.
One benefit is that it isn't dependent on a national supplier or large infrastructural works and its relative secure once stored - minimal leakage or degradation.
One downside would be the mechanical losses incurred if you tried to use the chemicals for electricity as opposed to say motive power.
Still, nothing's perfect.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Check this guy out for some ideas and technologies on energy storage
[broken link removed]

There are two adults and two small children in my house. For five months a year we use electricty to heat water and the rest of the time the oil fired central heating provides all we need.

The summer months make the calculations very clear. A typical weekly consumption would be:

8.5kW shower. Two * 5 minute showers per day = 10kWh per week
3 kW immersion for children baths. 45 mins per day 4 times per week = 9 kWh per week
3 kW kettle to boil water for dishes and cleaning. 4 mins to boil used 3 times daily = 4kWh per week

Total for one week = 23kWh.

I have no idea of the winter oil useage for the same amount of hot water but assuming a similar cost to the electricty we're looking at approximately €200 per year for hot water.

Based on figures above (3.2K to install a system that provides 50% of hot water), I'd be looking at a 32 year payback! No thanks.

Back