Laya Corporate Laya Total health extra due renewal for 2adults 4kids but I've left my job, any advice?

housebound

I recently left my job and am a stay at home mom to kids. I have always had our health insurance through the work corporate plan so I haven't had to think too much when it came to renewal every year. The work corporate plan has always been very good however I don't know what to do now at renewal as it's so expensive. My family had the Laya total health extra plan and it is due renewal on 1st December .

I would really appreciate some advise on how to retain as much cover as we can but for alot less money. I have 4 kids aged between 4 and 12. Three of my kids have ASD and dyspraxia so we do end up with a lot of medical appointments.

Hi housebound,

Adult options;
1. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1267pa; all public, private(including a private room fully covered) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech inpatient
excess capped at 100 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure in private/hi-tech hospitals. No excess to pay in any
public hospital. Good day to day cover included but the first 100 not allowed.

2. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1286pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech inpatient excess capped at 150 x 1 max
per year for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure in private/hi-tech hospitals. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day
cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp, dental, consultants etc upto a max of 1000 per year.(50% of 2000 = 1000).

3. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1240pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech inpatient excess capped at 150 x 1 per year max for
all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess applies to any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess,
50% refund for gp, dental, etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Child Options
I would recommend VHI for the 4 children as VHI only charge for the first 3 children and the 4th and subsequent children go free.
Also, the VHI Swiftcare clinics in Dublin are only available for VHI members and are an alternative A+E option.
The following plans are worth considering for the first 3 children, details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 311 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital inpatient excess capped at 150 x 1 max
for all admissions per year. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess applies in any public hospital. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess,
50% refund for gp, consultant, dental etc.

2. VHI One Plan Complete; price 255per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, NO excess to pay in any private or hi-tech hospital
on this plan. Very limited day to day cover on this plan but you could add-on a seperate day to day cover ie HealthSteps Silver or HealthSteps Gold if
required; One Plan Complete is handy if a child has several admissions or day case visits to a private hospital.

3. VHI PMI 44 16; price 291 per child; all public, private(including private room fully covered), and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital
inpatient excess 150 per admission and 150 per day case. This plan is suitable if a private room in a private hospital is important. Limited day to day cover.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

HealthSteps link
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

NOTE; As the 4th child is free of charge, you can actually choose any plan for this child. If one particular child has a lot of day to day medical expenses
you could name that child as the fourth child and name a suitable plan to suit their needs.
The following plans are worth considering, if you study the day to day details on these plans it will inform your decision more accurately.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks very much snowyb, I really appreciate your advice. My husband thinks he can get 10% discount with Laya so I might try them for us and go with vhi for the kids.

Back