Cork: Turners Cross or Bishopstown?

G

gillisulli

hi,

We are FTBs in Cork City with a max budget of 450,000. Have found two houses that we are considering;

One is in Turners Cross (400,000 asking price), we love the house not so sure about the area. It's very convenient for town, work etc. but maybe not so good in the long run in terms maintaining value, proximity to good schools etc. The house needs a lot of work and would probably end up costing us more than 450,000 at the end of the day.

The other house is in Bishopstown (455,000 asking price), great area, great schools, typically houses would maintain value. While the house is nice it doesn't have the same appeal/potential as the Turner's Cross house. It is in walk in condition though.

WHich is more important; the house or the location? Finding it very hard to make a decision!

Any advice welcome.

Im not sure about Turners Cross but I definitely wouldn't want to live in Bishopstown I always think of Bishopstown as a 1970s 'grey' suburb, very little character, and very far out. At one time it used to command a certain amount of street cred but doesn't hold any appeal for me personally.

The areas of Cork that I do value are Blackrock, Glounthaune, Ballinlough
and the western suburbs around UCC, College Road, Magazine Road.
I would also rate Monkstown and parts of Rochestown as desirable.

In your specific quandry, Id go for the Turners Cross option. Great location, settled, mature and an area more likely to appreciate faster in years to come.

The mantra goes "buy the worst house in the best location".

Personally I wouldn't have a problem living in Turners Cross, it's not bad and very convenient. But Bishopstown is undoubtably a more 'respectable' area. If you feel better about the Turners Cross house than go for it. Smaller mortgage would make it worthwhile

I will also say this, Cork is small, and I don't know how you could describe Bishopstown as 'far out'. I'd say it's approx 10 minutes to Patrick Street. You wouldn't turn around in Dublin that quick!

I would go with Bishopstown it is a nicer area in my view, turners cross is great if you are an investor or young person because of proximity to town but if I had children and was factoring in schools, lifestyle etc then I would go with Bishopstown. I would bid well under the price aswell!

I think that the Turners Cross house would hold its value well given how close it is to the city centre and there are good schools in that area (eg. Christ Ri). It is within walking distance of Patricks Street and also of Douglas - superb location. I have always considered Turners Cross to be a good mature area. A minor concern might be parking - a lot of the roads are narrow with double yellow on one side and people do park there during the day and then walk to town to work or whatever. It might be a good idea to get quotes, etc. for the building work necessary. I don't know the Bishopstown area as well but it would be safe to say that you will probably be more reliant on your car if you choose that house. IMO these two areas would be equally 'respectable'.

in Bishopstown, I'd be very slow to buy anywhere close to either CIT (e.g. Melbourn or Uam Var) or CUH due to major traffic and parking hassles.

Also, some reports of subsidence in some parts of Bishopstown, so look out for that.

Hmmm,as mentioned above,worst house in best location is good advice.However,while B'town is fine with its traffic problems,Turners X would be preferable to me,spitting distance of city centre & lots of character.Also the city is "migrating" east with the development of the docklands,which will make B'town even more peripheral!

Hmmm,as mentioned above,worst house in best location is good advice.However,while B'town is fine with its traffic problems,Turners X would be preferable to me,spitting distance of city centre & lots of character.Also the city is "migrating" east with the development of the docklands,which will make B'town even more peripheral!

Without a doubt east is a better long term bet if your looking for capital appreciation in the cork hinterland. You will find that development that side will be much greater in the future. Train station, cummuter link all pluses as is the picturesque nature of the east part of the city (may not last though). Even a quick study of house prices in the glounthaune & riverstown areas shows how they are actually appreciating ever so slightly in places.

To the OP, turners cross has character and i'd imagine a much nicer place to live being so close to city. Bishopstown can be quite detached from the city and traffic is a nightmare most of time. Turners Cross also has proximity to the soccer and rugby for the sports lovers!

Generally speaking, Bishopstown is probably considered more upmarket - used to be called "snob alley", but some parts of Bishopstown are a bit "rough". Turner's cross is probably more mature and much of the area is council or former council housing. A very high proportion of former council housing is now private.
Roads: Bishopstown into Cork can, very often, be an awful drag, with very heavy..and slow traffic. Turner's cross to town is much quicker.
Walking: It will take you 10 mins to walk into the City centre from "De Cross", whereas B'town will take you up to an hour.
Subsidence: BIG problem in B'town - you may not be able to get insurance cover for it.
Schools: "Good" schools - lots of crap about that in Cork (and elsewhere) There are several "good" schools within walking distance or a short commute of Turner's X - you have a wider choice than B'Town, though equally any you might want to use are within easy commuting distance.
Parking: Tighter in Turner's X and, when there are matches on the place can get very heavy. Bishopstown is very heavy when the CIT, in particular, and UCC are in session.

Parks: The Old city dump, now closed, is due to open shortly as a public park, so this will be right on your doorstep in Turner's X - this covers something over a square mile, probably more.
Access to South Link/N22: Not bad from either B'town or Turners' X but probably easier from the X.
Shopping Centres: Reasonably near to several in either location

Up de rebels!!

Just checked up pn my post now - delighted to see so many replies!

I would agree with most of you that Turner's Cross has much more character than Bishopstown. I also see Bishopstown as a somewhat grey surbarb. But I work on Model Farm Road so could walk to work in about 10 minutes, could walk my duaghter to creche/school and my husband works in town and would be able to cycle. Also there are nice river walks that are appealing. Despite all that we are not going to go for it because the area/house just isn't really us!

Still considering the Turner's Cross house though but thinking of offering way under the asking price. My parents have me well warned not to put more money into the house than its going to be worth in the end of the day and that houses in Turners Cross/Friars walk are never going to be worth €500,000. I suppose thats good advise.

THanks again for all the input.

Back