Cork-Santander ferry & walk-on passengers

rob oyle

I found out yesterday that the new Cork to Santander ferry service does not allow for walk-on passengers, i.e. all passengers must book on with a vehicle. Just wondering if travelling with a stranger was permissible... or is that a weird scenario?

I would like to travel to Spain later in the summer and not fly over. I don't know what the next step would be if it was possible, I'm assuming anyone journeying by car/lorry aren't looking to travel with others to reduce costs.

There is a check-in procedure at the port where booking details and passports etc are checked. I doubt very much if you would get past this unless you are hiding in the boot!

Not sure why the Santander route doesn't show foot passenger as an option.

Try calling them in Cork el: +353 21 427 7801
Email: [email protected]

There is a check-in procedure at the port where booking details and passports etc are checked. I doubt very much if you would get past this unless you are hiding in the boot!

Not sure why the Santander route doesn't show foot passenger as an option.

Try calling them in Cork el: +353 21 427 7801
Email: [email protected]
I wasn't planning anything untoward... I was just exploring the possibility of buddying up with someone to take the boat to Spain. While families travelling together might get a cabin, the majority of the lorry drivers are in shared cabins, which I'd be happy with.
BF don't offer foot passenger transport on this route - if you're not driving on, you're not getting on!

Your buddying up idea is a good one. As you said, it's car/truck only, and you have to have a cabin. I'm sure there must be passengers traveling alone, either truck or car, who would gladly share the cost of the trip, with the proviso that they now have to share a cabin.

My guess is that if foot passengers were allowed, and booked a cabin, then there would be empty car spaces, which would be more lucrative than the occupied cabin space. If I remember correctly there are only 120 cabins.

How you would make contact is another matter. Possibly through the internet?

Back