Cork rural housing guide

volcano

I just wondered if people have opinions/experience of this guide. For example in 2007 there was application for a bungalow near us (we had no concerns at all) and the council actually reduced the size of it,(it was 1600 sq ft) the person withdrew it as they weren't happy with that. The next application was for 2 storey over 2000 sq ft in 2009 and this time we did submit our concerns about the scale and design and while lip service was paid to the CRHG basically nothing changed and was granted! Is the guide only that, guidelines or is it rules. The inconsistency is worrying from one year to the next or perhaps its normal? Would pleanala entertain our concerns or not, we would appreciate your opinions.

inconsistency can equate to policy changes....

either your objections have proper planning merit or not...

I'm going through the planning process for the third time at the moment (same site and house) and the inconsistency is frightening and maddening. There is a worrying lack of thought going into individual decisions as far as I can see.

I am building on a site that is next door to my brother in law in rural North Cork. We both went through the planning at the same time and it was a joke. The best example was the roof pitch, I had 38 deg and he had 45 deg. We both failed the planning and each had a condition to change the roof pitch, mine stated 45 deg and his was 38 deg. It was unbeleaveable!

I find that many of the conditions the planners give you are cut and paste without much thought.

I have looked through the Cork Rural Design Guide a number of times and based on the houses built in the Cork area I would consider them to be purely guidelines, not rules. There are several houses built in the Cork area in the last couple of years that dont conform to the Guide.

The planners do seem to change their conditions. When I first engaged with the planning office about 2 years ago, they stated the house must have a max ridge height of 6.5 metres. I got planning in the last couple of months and one of the conditions was that the ridge height must be increased to 7 metres. I couldnt believe it, good news for me but very inconsistent.

Back