Cork Floods

Corkgal's theory of land use does hold water (pardon the pun), the more non-porous area of land, the less natural drainage occurs and run-off is much greater. AFAIK, the idea of planning permission being a prerequisite to paving green areas such as front lawns in urban areas has been mooted, if not already implemented. That said, seemingly we were hit with a 1-in-800 year storm and the ground was already saturated so one could presume that serious flooding would have occurred regardless. I live in the sticks and we got hit fairly badly too, though it did dissipate pretty quickly.

Cork city is built more or less on an island. Only one road into the city centre, not over a bridge. It also sits on Marshland.

Has anyone ever driven into Cork city centre without going down a fairly large hill?

I just read on RTE website the following.

The Taoiseach, Brian Cowen, has announced in the Dáil that an initial €10 million will be made avaiable in humanitarian aid to those worst affected by the floods.

If they can find 10 million "just like that" for this issue - how come they couldnt find it for the girls vaccine a couple of months ago?

Cork city is built more or less on an island. Only one road into the city centre, not over a bridge. It also sits on Marshland.

Has anyone ever driven into Cork city centre without going down a fairly large hill?

Yes.....I prefer not to enter cork city center going down Patricks hill.

I just read on RTE website the following.

If they can find 10 million "just like that" for this issue - how come they couldnt find it for the girls vaccine a couple of months ago?
Far be it from me to defend our Govt, but this is a cheap shot.

Back