Cordiline Palm Tree close to house

laila

Have a cordiline Palm tree very close to the house - about 3 ft away. My guess is that it is at least 25 years old. I've always liked it's exotic look. While blocking light it also gave privacy. At the moment I am condering a kitchen extension on a tight budget (will probably be posting about this again!). Depending on which way I go this tree could possibly be in my path. Had preliminary meeting with an architect today. He seemed to think it would be better to keep it and work around it as he said would be very expensive to take out tree and root structure etc.

I am wondering if this is short sighted. Does anyone know the life span of these trees? Do their roots do damage? A few years ago a nearby sewer pipe was dislodged, - with hindsight could have been the roots caused the problem. My thinking is if this tree should not be so close to the house, or his nearing the end of it's life span then I should take it out and not let it influence the course of whatever the kitchen extension might be.

Even though I am getting the advice of an architect I am afraid I have trouble giving total trust to their expertise and want to think it out myself. Many thanks for any words of wisdom.

Why not get a free quote from a tree services company on its possible removal?

It might cost less than you'd expect to get rid of .... you can always plant a new one to coincide with your new extension!

We have three cordelines planted 20 years this year. They are shallow rooted and should not damage the house.
Ours when they get too tall blow down in a storm and start the process of growth all over again.

They are due to fall any day (for their second time). I would not say they are too difficult for a mini digger or JCB with appropriate attachment to pull out.

I'd ask a horticulturist about the root system of these plants. As far as I know its nothing like an actual tree root, more like a big houseplant!

Hi Thanks for all the replies. I got some professional advice which was to take it down before doing work extending the house as any disturbance would likely damage its roots. Apparently a lot of these trees have been killed off by the frost this year. Once everything is settled I'll put a new one in and enjoy watching it grow for the next 20 years I hope!

Great to hear laila ... thanks for reporting back.

I've had three cordelines die on me in January ..... reckon I'll be doing some purchasing too!

Back