Copyright on Training Manuals

mo3art

Quick query, I'm not sure if anybody will be able to answer this.

I will shortly be entering a training role with my employer & part of this will involve writing training manuals for various office packages. My question is, does anybody know of a way that I can (a) copyright or (b) restrict my employer's use of the manuals or (c) charge my employer for reproductions or ongoing use.

While i am still working with my employer, this will not be an issue, but I want to fasten my position should I move companies or go into a consulatancy role.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mo

I would have thought if they're paying you for the time you are spending on this work, the ownership of the work rests with them...

Check your contract of employment and it probably includes a clause in which the company legitimately lays claim to anything produced on their time.

Point taken, however the manuals will be compiled for generic office applications on my own time - extra curricular activity so to speak. The training will be carried out on their time but the materials provided and used will be worked on in my own time after work hours.

This is a new situation for me and them so it's not something they have come up against in the past, so asking them has been quite unproductive!

Mo

Back