Copying movie camera reels to dvd

gauloise

Hi! Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows where I could get some old reels copied to dvd? The home movies are from an "antique" SANKO SUPER LXL 255 MACRO and were taken in the seventies..I have no idea where to start so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Do you still have (or could borrow) a projector capable of playing these reels? If so, the best solution is probably to set the thing up in a darkened room, projecting onto a matt white surface, and film the projected image with a digital camcorder on a tripod. I presume there's no soundtrack?

no..no soundtrack! I could borrow a projector I guess but I thought there might be a more high tech/easier way..though presumably more expensive. Also as the reels and camera belong to my parents I have no idea how to set up etc..and dvd is meant to be a surprise!

Then it sounds like your easiest option is to pay someone else to do it. Have a look — I've no connection to/knowledge of any of the companies listed, but presumably you could call them and discuss pricing?

They tend to charge by the hour (of footage, or of their time, dunno...)

If you're in the Dublin area, I used Campbells on Kimmage Rd to convert videos and they were very good though the aul' fella who runs it can be a bit on the cranky side.

Do you know if they also convert the old round films? I really would like to find someone in Ireland as these are precious family memories and would hate anything to happen to them in transit!

I have heard nothing but good reports about

Frank Morgan Photographers - Film Studios, 45 McCurtain Street, Fermoy Co Cork
Tel: 025 32527 - 025 32527

Would be worth a call for a quote.

Thanks for that dosfromclare! Rang Frank and got a very good quote and seems like a nice man too..thanks again:)

Back