Copper Beech Hedge

mohainle

Dear all,

I am fencing off a large site and I am also going to plant my hedge. Planning requires me to have semi/native species. I like the coppper beech.

I visited a graden centre who advised me that for such a large site I would be better served getting them wholesale. I was given a number to contact.

I was quoted 70c a plant for the beech that turns green in the summer and copper in the winter; each plant would be 2-3ft.

If I wanted the beech which turns a purple shade in the summer the price rose to 2 euro per plant.

What are your opinions regarding the price and is there really that much of a difference between the green/purple varieties.

Regards,
Mohainle

Knock yourself out with the information here

[broken link removed]

While you may have a favorite look there are a host of other variables to consider such as height, speed of growth, flowering, shelter.

Are you sure you want a whole hedge in copper beech? You could just have a specimen tree in copper.
If you have heavy soil consider hornbeam, very similar to beech.

Try www.futureforests.net. They do bulk orders and deliver all over the country. Drop them an email and they'll advise on whether you should use beech or hornbeam. They also do native hedging mixtures that are brilliant for wildlife and are very good value. I have no connection.

Back