Cooking buttersquash

phoenix

I want to make a veg soup this weekend and add buttersquash. It says it is easier to bake the buttersquash first and then remove the flesh. Anyone any idea on how to go about preparing and baking a buttersquash?

Thanks

Am not sure re soup, but as an added veg to a dinner I do not peel it. I cut it in thick slices and roast in the over with a bit of oil for approx ½ hour and it is delicious. leaving out the 2 end bits.

Hope that helps.

as suggested above. Don't bother peeling it, just take the seeds out. I don't add the skin in to the soup, though I've heard others suggesting it. I scrape the butternut out after it's been roasted - that is put it in to the oven unpeeled and remove after cooking as it's far easier. I don't bother with the oil.

It is also possible to steam it, but I'd always peel it for this.

Warning - it's very tough to cut when raw, use a sharp knife and watch the hands.

By the way - thyme works vrey well with butternut squask.

hi phoenix,
try softening a finely chopped onion in a saucepan,with a small drop of oil,on a low heat,after 2-3mins add aclove of garlic again chopped.
while this is sizzling,peel and chop your butternut squash,add to pan stir it up,then cover with boiling water,and simmer till soft.
zap it with a soup blender add salt and pepper to taste,sometimes it may be to thick ,you can add a little more water,or if you like cream.

Back