Cooker stove flue problem

biddy123

Hi, Got a cooker stove fitted in the kitchen about two years ago. A fitter, who was self employed, was recommended by the shop to fit it. All good, until we realised that there is no plate or box in the flue to clean it out. Would we have any comeback on the shop as they must have supplied the flue to the fitter?

I presume you contacted the fitter directly, and so your contract is with them. The shop may offer some good will, but are under no legal obligation to do so.

How have you been cleaning it over the past two years, sometimes the clinker makes it way direct to the firebox with cleaning via the firebox assuming you have a separate flue within the chimney to service the stove alone.

Hi, The shop recommended the fitter, but I know that our contract would be with him. But as far as I know, the shop supplied the parts. That was the first time we cleaned it in two years ( I know it should have been done yearly) but didnt realise until we got the chimney cleaner out, that there was extreme difficulty to clean the flue as there was no opening or box to do so.

Does your sales invoice from the shop detail the stove, flue, and the parts required to fit the cleaning plate or box? Were all parts specified delivered? If something was listed that wasn't delivered, then you have recourse with the shop, but that really should have been addressed at the time.

The details around fitting, and the inclusion of a cleaning plate or box is a matter between yourself and the fitter. If you paid for parts that the fitter collected but didn't fit, then he has your property and should return it. But again, that's between you and the fitter to work out.

Not really an ideal solution to this from your point of view, but perhaps a better fitter might be able to retro-fit a solution.

Back