Cooker Banjaxed?

Lex Foutish

We have a Belling Finesse electric cooker. A few weeks ago the fan oven only heated to about 100 degrees and wouldn't get any hotter. After a bit of fiddling with knobs etc., it worked again. Today, the fan is working (it always did), but there's no heat in that oven at all. The top oven is working fine, as are the 4 rings on top.

Is the element gone in the fan oven or is it a different problem? Any idea of cost of repair? Do such repair men (or women) still have a call out charge? Thanks.

I had a new element fitted on a Creda fan oven recently - cost 70 Euro for the part and labour. No call out charge as such, told him what we needed so he'd have replacement one with him ;) .Took about 10 minutes.

No - Galway :( . But we just picked his name out of the local paper based on the models he delt with as posted in his ad.

We have a Belling Finesse electric cooker. A few weeks ago the fan oven only heated to about 100 degrees and wouldn't get any hotter. After a bit of fiddling with knobs etc., it worked again. Today, the fan is working (it always did), but there's no heat in that oven at all. The top oven is working fine, as are the 4 rings on top.

Is the element gone in the fan oven or is it a different problem? Any idea of cost of repair? Do such repair men (or women) still have a call out charge? Thanks.

Just had fan (not element) replaced in a belling cook centre approx 8/9 years old. Call out was €75 and part €55 so €130 altogether. Got his number from Dimpco who are belling people and he was the recommended contract engineer. Pretty pricey but he came next day, did the job in 15 minutes and told us what we already suspected: Mouse got into cooker, pulled all the insulation out and chewed through a wire leading to the fan.

A.

Just had fan (not element) replaced in a belling cook centre approx 8/9 years old. Call out was €75 and part €55 so €130 altogether. Got his number from Dimpco who are belling people and he was the recommended contract engineer. Pretty pricey but he came next day, did the job in 15 minutes and told us what we already suspected: Mouse got into cooker, pulled all the insulation out and chewed through a wire leading to the fan.

A.

Ouch! That's a bit on the expensive side, alright. If it would cost that, we'd probably replace it, as it's fairly old at this stage.

Thanks, Ali.

I buy all my appliance repair parts in the UK now, online. About half what the places here charge.

I have replaced the element twice, the fan motor once, and the door hinges once in my Neff oven in 10 years. It has cost me way less than the price of a cheap replacement oven. With a little bit of fiddling (and with the oven unplugged) you would be amazed what you can do yourself!

A little off topic Lex. But can you microwave Drisheen? I don't remember Joyce mentioning that in Ulysses :D.

Yes, Cork is right up there with the other (real) Culinary Capitals of the world. :)
Tacos de tripa — Mexican tacos filled with crunchy fried tripe
Tripas à moda do Porto — tripe with white beans, in Portuguese cuisine, a dish typical of the city of Porto.
Tripe and Beans — in Jamaica. This is a thick, spicy stew made with Tripe and Broad Beans
Tripe and Drisheen — in Cork, Ireland
Tripe and Onions — in Northern England
Tripoux — French sheep tripe dish
Trippa alla fiorentina — in Italy (fried with tomatoes and other vegetables)
Trippa alla Romana — in Italy (done with white wine and tomatoes)
Tsitsarong bulaklak — Filipino crunchy fried tripe (lit. "flower" crackling)
Yakiniku and HorumonyakiJapanese chargrilled, bite-sized

Back