Converting vinyl records to mp3

tonora

Sorry if this has previously been covered.
I have a large collection of vinyl long playing records[remember them?]-Normally played on a 20 year old pioneer hi fi system!
Any suggestions on how I can compress the collection into a few files on my PC and play on my i pod whenever nostalgia overtakes me?
Thanks in advance:eek:

Essentially the same procedure as described here, but if you've a good quality turntable you should be able to get slightly better results than from cassettes.

There are also several inexpensive software packages out there that will remove cracks, pops & rumble from the recordings and break tracks up automatically. download.com has a few examples.

Yeah, like pnh says, it is very time consuming plus the file size generated while recording with the software I had was enormous so my pc slowed down to a crawl. Had to do it track by track and the results just weren't worth all the hassle. If you're feeling nostalgic, why not just sit down for a half an hour and listen to the vinyl the way it should be! :)

Hi,
An easier alternative to converting them yourself :) If you have a computer & a broadband collection, you can use file sharing program called <snip> (it's free).
You can use this to download the songs that you have on your vinyl in mp3 format. They are 9/10 good quality & it will save you the trouble of converting the songs yourself. A user guide on how to use it is on its website (its very simple anyways). It contains millions of songs including very old & not very popular/mainstream songs. Remember to scan all the files you download for viruses just to be sure they are safe. If you don't have an anti-virus program, just use this free one http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

[Edited by DrMoriarty to remove link. Downloading copyright materials without payment is illegal in Ireland, and AAM does not condone it.]

Not sure if you've got cash to flash, but this USB turntable might be an interesting option:

[broken link removed]

I agree with previous posters' opinions - it's difficult to do if you require quality output. To do it right you're effectively re-mastering your record - not the easiest of jobs. The steps involved in doing this are as follows :-

1. connect record player to digital/audio conversion device e.g. soundcard

note that you will have to ensure that the record player has had riaa equalisation - you may need to use a phono pre-amp if the deck doesn't already do this.

2. use audio/sampling software to record the analog signal presented to the sound card. When you record the sound, you're actually converting the continuous analogue input into lots of little bits - this is called sampling. Windows has a tool called soundrecord which will do this, but there are lots of better options - ones I've used are wave repair, goldwave and Cooledit. Most sound editor software does this. You will need to choose a sample rate for the analog input - 44.1Khz is cd quality, 48 is DAT quality etc, but watch your dac device - my cheapo usb soundblaster card sampled everything in 48Khz, so sampling for standard cd audio at 44.1 meant that the signal was resampled - loss of sound quality.

3. When you do the sampling you could choose to start and stop recording at the end of each song resulting in a number of song audio files (.wav) or you could have one large audio file for the whole album. Some of the sound editors allow you to break up a larger audio file into bits based on the gaps between songs - e.g. waverepair. Others allow you to produce a cue file which can be used by cd burning software to place gaps at points during the burn.

4. Now you've got one or more audio files which may or may not need cleaning up. If you listen to your digitised audio, you might be surprised by the sound quality - hiss, crackles and pop! (tapes are much worse than records) There could also be gaps in the audio, e.g. when you changed sides, cued the needle etc. If you can't stand all the hiss etc. you will need to use sound processing software e.g. cooledit, goldwave to remove it - this is a complex process which will not be very well covered by their manuals - a lot of experimentation, a/b testing and browsing of the internet will be required to do this well. Mind you, as any kind of sound processing involves changing or destroying parts of the original signal, its quite common for the sampled audio to be burned as is on cd. It won't sound like a cd, but then it isn't really, is it?! Think of cd re-issues of pre - 1960's classical recordings and you're closer to the mark. I have done this for records and tapes that had sentimental value, but the quality of the audio is usually more palatable if processed.

5. OK, now your audio is cleaned up, it should be burnt to cd. Most pc's ship with their own cd burning software so just follow the usually simple instructions. It is easiest to split a large .wav file of a whole album into smaller songs - very few cd burning tools support cue files.

For more info, a good resource to start with is :-http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

I have a large collection of vinyl long playing records[remember them?]

Despite numerous articles in the media regarding vinyl's continuing success in holding a reasonable market share of new music sales, many people still hold the perception that the format has been dead since the early 1990s.

So far this year I have purchased 30 new albums (i.e. albums of new material released in 2006).

21 of these have been on vinyl while in the case of three others I chose to purchase the CD version.

So much for being a dead / obselete format!

Yes I guess there will always be a niche market for vinyl-and nostalgia plays a part-but as for transfering to MP3-I found that that when u spent ages tweaking the sound and trying to remove all those pops and clicks u end up with a very unattractive end product-Ebay is a good source for replacing old stuff now available on CD-and sometimes the CD has bonus stuff.

I have had vinyl transferred to cd here:
[broken link removed]
They did a good job. Personally I wouldn't invest in any new vinyl, I dont see any advantage. They say that if you have a really high end vinyl system that it will sound better than cd but how many of us can afford that?

Personally I wouldn't invest in any new vinyl, I dont see any advantage. 11-11-2006 11:52 AM

I much prefer to buy vinyl over CD, although a lot of my listening is from my iPod, whether it be in the car or on the move. A few vinyl purchases in the past year have come with a mail-back card which entitles the buyer to a free download of the album. This to me is a great idea and will probably see a resurgance in vinyl purchases from the people who rip their cd to MP3 for use on their PC/MP3 players. Aesthetically, vinyl will always win over any other format.

Thats an attractive offer and a great idea but it still wouldn't convince me. I cant see why there would be a resurgance, i doubt that most "popular" titles are available. I agree you cant beat it for aesthetic value.

Ok bringing up an old post and technology has changed :rolleyes:

Looking to get a turntable to link to PC to convert old vinyl records to MP3 on desktop anyone recommend sotware / program that can do this?

Would you need a large memory PC to do it ?

Best software is Audacity.

It's free and easy to use.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The wiki page is very good and has lots of info / tips.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

It does take up a fair bit of disk space but once you have converted the tracks into mp3s or WAVs you can then delete the audacity file.

MP3s should be encoded at 320kpbs for maximum sound quality - or even better, use wav files.

Avoid USB turntables - they're crappy and lightweight.

Vinyl still has plenty of life as a format - both for new releases and second hand stuff.

Slightly different question but does anyone know of a good piece of equipment to convert CDs to hard drive and then play them from the hard drive? The Brennan JB7 does this but it's expensive and I'm told that the quality isn't great. Any suggestions?

Why avoid USB turntables? I was looking at [broken link removed] in komplett and seems reasonable but dont knowthe name ion. Checked Cnet and it does what it states on the tin

Slightly different question but does anyone know of a good piece of equipment to convert CDs to hard drive and then play them from the hard drive? The Brennan JB7 does this but it's expensive and I'm told that the quality isn't great. Any suggestions?
You're just talking about 'Ripping' the CD onto your PC so you can listen to your music on the PC without any further need for the CD ?

Any media player software will do this. Windows Media Player comes as standard and does it well.

Back