Converting video to DVD

elizabeth

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a machine that will convert my friend's enormous stack of bought/recorded video movies on to DVD?

yes it definitly is!! my friend did it last week.ill post the machine he bought and price etc later

oaky8 said:
just put a bit of sellotape over the copyright tab on your videotape

I didn't think those tabs had anything to do with copyright, don't they just protect against accidently recording over the tape?

I think its normally the Macrovision electronic signal that prevents copying of bought tapes.

Technologist may mean copy protected by Macrovision which will degrade the quality of the signal (blinking light/dark, poor colour quality etc.) when recording VHS to/from VHS/DVD+/-R in many cases unless steps are taken to avoid this. Same goes, for example, playing DVDs back with the signal routed through the VCR (e.g. for sound signal distribution, A/V input selection etc.).

For converting from VHS to DVD see .

Post about Macrovision crossed with dam099's.

I bought this Sony from Argos after the original DVD/Video recorder I bought just over a year ago (a Bush model) broke twice.

[broken link removed]

It was just over €500.

I think you may be able to buy an ordinary DVD recorder and connect it to a video recorder and do the same job.

[broken link removed]

dublady said:
I think you may be able to buy an ordinary DVD recorder and connect it to a video recorder and do the same job.
Unless you can disable Macrovision on the source (e.g. an external "Macrovision killer" or signal stabiliser box) or destination (e.g. a Macrovision disabling hack for your DVD recorder) device then this will not work - at the very least the quality of the recorded images will be poor for Macrovision copy protected VHS tapes. For more on VHS to DVD Macrovision issues see .

Apologies Clubman. I'm technologically challenged.

By the way, does anybody know how to transfer USA NTSC videos (not copyrighted) to DVD?

Many modern VCRs should be able to playback NTSC tapes converting the output to PAL (quality will vary depending on how exactly they do this) which may then be recorded to DVD. Or if you have a VCR with NTSC playback and signal generation capabilities (probably unlikely unless you have a US VCR) then some DVD recorders may be able to converd from NTSC to PAL internally. However you'd need to do a bit of research (e.g. on the specific VCR and DVD recorder that you have or are thinking of acquiring) to check what's possible in advance.

Back