Converting gas fireplace to open fireplace

colmoc

I have a gas-ready fireplace (no gas fire installed yet). Was hoping to just have an open fire. Any ideas what's involved in converting the fireplace?

Is the fireplace fitted with a refractory flue liner, only a proper refractory flue can be used in the combustion of solid fuels. Many gas fires are fitted with a flexible insulated flue liner, which is suitable for use only with gas fires where combustion gases are low in temperature and condensation is an issue 9thus the insulated flue). Th refractory flue liner is brown / orange in colour (like a terracotta pot). If in any doubt a builder or someone with experience in building will readily confirm the suitability of your fire place.

Thanks for the advice Carpenter. The fire has one of those heat-reflecting backs on it so I'll need to have a closer look when I get home.

On a reverse note.

Having just moved into my new house I don't want to really use the open fireplace due to dust etc. cleaning it the next day. Since I don't have gas is it fairly easy to just have a gas fire put in with gas supplied via a cylinder attached to the outside wall ?
Plus will anything special have to be done to the flue as well ?

Thanks

jools

Carpenter,
Much appreciate the advice. I've taken a few photos of the fireplace and the flue. Would you mind if I PM'd you with them so you could have a look?

Back