Convert video tape to digital

Thirsty

Looking for a recommendation for companies to convert VHS tape to digital.

Google is fine, but would very much like to hear from someone who has done this recently.

Simple answer is no. ;)

I'm looking for digital; so it can be stored on an external SSD.

Well, DVD is digital, that's what the first D stands for :D. To be specific, you're looking to convert to a file format you can use with a digital media player.

A converter such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-USB-Video-Capture-Card/dp/B008F0SARC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542023435&sr=8-4 (this) will do the trick if you still have a functioning VHS player. Services that will do this for you aren't as common as they once were as the kit to do it yourself now costs around what they charge for a single tape.

Thanks folks.

I'm looking for a company to do this conversion.

I don't want to use DVD for storage; I want to store the video on an external drive.

Once on DVD you can transfer the video files to any card, flash or external drive you want like any other file, photo, etc.

Once on DVD you can transfer the video files to any card, flash or external drive you want like any other file, photo, etc.
I'm looking to have someone do the conversion direct to external drive.

Problem is this guy is not near Dublin :) Many hours drive away so was just checking that it was Dublin you needed.

Many chemists act as agents for companies that do video to digital conversion but the output is provided on DVD. You can then copy the files from the DVD to your hard disk or copy the DVD. I've done this myself. So just ask in you local chemist. I haven't used them but the Fuji shop in Abbey St Dublin says they provide this service.

@Monbretia - its a small island!

If you've a recommendation I'll be happy to check it out, thanks.

@PMU - thanks, I want to store on external drive, not DVD.

Well if you really want a bit of a drive try Dan Devane in Tralee, he did some cine film for me years ago and has since done some cassettes to dvd so I'd imagine he has kept up to date with technology and can do them to whatever you want. He does wedding videos etc and is very obliging and helpful.

Back