Contributory state pension

deco87

hi
Is this about right. Im a public servant. Joined on 20th birthday 53 now.
can retire at 50. Or go onto 60.
68 will be retirement age. so if i retired at 55. I have 2 years proper stamps before I
joined up , social welfare told me i need 9 years and 10 weeks (from my record) to get
I think its 520 stamps you need for the contributory pension which i think ,,
is minimum 90e.ish. a week - Minimum.

so at 55 if i retire from public service...at 65 ....I will have earned enough stamps (working obviously at a different occupation) to get the 90 euro ish on top of my public service pension.

Is that correct. I then asked the social welfare , tho not her specific area ....why would i not get more than the minimum rate of contributory pension , she said that the 30 odd years of stamps i paid in public service do not count..it would take forever to get any more ....i understand its a different type of stamp.

Last thing if i got a job ..when i leave ...it must pay a stamp i understand ....but should i lose
that employment , im thinking bus driving or similar ,,,say bus company lost a contract or something , can i sign on or something till i got another job,,,,to ensure I don"t lose the stamps.....would credits i think you may be allowed get ....suffice till i got another job , not interfering negatively with the 520 i need for the contributory pension

thank you
D

Hi,

It would probably be best if you were to request a copy of your social welfare contributions - see here https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/RequestSIContributionRecord.aspx

In my opinion your best course of action is to make an appointment at your and bring along the statement. They should be able to give you the best advice or point you in the right direction. Try to steer clear of some of their expensive telephone numbers by using www.saynoto1890.com

Last thing if i got a job ..when i leave ...it must pay a stamp i understand ....but should i lose
that employment , im thinking bus driving or similar ,,,say bus company lost a contract or something , can i sign on or something till i got another job,,,,to ensure I don"t lose the stamps.....would credits i think you may be allowed get ....suffice till i got another job , not interfering negatively with the 520 i need for the contributory pension

Credits count towards the rate of pension awarded, provided you have at least 520 paid contributions. Credited contributions would not satisfy one of the basic qualifying criteria for awarding a pension :

paid at least 520 full rate social insurance contributions (if you turn 66 before 6th April 2012 you need 260 paid full rate contributions).

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Qualifying-for-State-Pension-Contributory.aspx#q3

EDIT:Correcting myself. See the answer to Q10 in the above link.It seems you may only need 260 paid contributions, combined with your D contributions, to qualify for a "mixed insurance" pension:

10. I have less than 520 full rate social insurance contributions paid, but I have also paid modified rate contributions. Can these be used to satisfy the 520 paid contributions requirement?

Modified rate social insurance contributions can be used to satisfy this requirement, provided you have paid at least260 full rate contributions. If so, you may be assessed for what we call a ‘mixed insurance’ pension.

See Q21 for more on the calculation for a "mixed insurance" pension.

Last edited:
I have 30 years full contributions now. Am considering entering public sector would I qualify for a full social welfare state pension if I did.
I would expect I would accumulate some type of benefits in the coming years in public sector. Would I be able to claim both pensions.
Can anybody advise me. Thanks

I have 30 years full contributions now. Am considering entering public sector would I qualify for a full social welfare state pension if I did.
I would expect I would accumulate some type of benefits in the coming years in public sector. Would I be able to claim both pensions.
Can anybody advise me. Thanks

If you join the public service you will continue to pay PRSI as you do now. These contributions count towards the State Pension in the same way as your existing contributions. Whether or not this will get you the full pension depends on your full lifetime contribution record - as it would anyway.

Public service pension schemes (current) are coordinated - they include both an occupational pension element and a state pension element. You should be entitled (separately) to whatever occupational pension element that you contribute towards in your new role. The current scheme is generally less generous in this regard than previous schemes, which long serving members will have.

I assume there is a public service pension scheme in place in your proposed new role?

Is there any change in the entitlement to the state pension for mothers who spent years prior to introduction of Home makers credits, rearing their children.
Are any credits now available to older women who had children under 12 in the 70’s and 80’s.
Browtal

Thanks black sheep. I wonder at the legality of making provision for some women and not all fulfilling the same conditions.
They were very selective in choosing to pay the homemakes credit according to a date that appalled to some
Workers and not all.
Is this a bit like the nursing home charges a few years ago, when deductions were make from resident older people and were eventually refunded.
Surely it is unconstitutional to apply a consideration to one group of workers according to a convenient date and not all in the same contribution group and conditions, but a different time frame.
Increases for the politicians and nothing for the voters.
I get more sceptical by the day.
Browtal

Back