Contributory pension - 520 threshold -up to when?

Kilmay90

The minimum threshold for State Contributory Pension is 520 contributions in total. On the Citizens Info and Soc.Welfare websites it just says you must have 520, but it does not say up to what date.
When it comes to the average per year, it says they only count up to the end of the tax year before your 66th birthday. But does the same cut-off date apply to the 520 threshold?
TO give an example;
say a person is 66 on 1st June 2018.
They have 470 contributions up to the end of Dec 2017.
In 2018 they are self employed and have to continue paying Class S for 12 months, since Class S is only dealt with on a 12 month basis regardless of when your birthday is.
Do they qualify for Contrib Pension or not?

You have to have paid PRSI before your 56th birthday.

[broken link removed]

I think once you are 66 during year you don’t pay Class S PRSI for the year. I know it’s probably not answer you want. I can check for certain for you tomorrow. Did you ring prsi contribution helpline

Can i ask for a friend who will be 66 in June 2018 and starting to get information about her pension now, will they count the contributions up to June 2018 or will they just count contributions up to December 2017 for Coap

Can i ask for a friend who will be 66 in June 2018 and starting to get information about her pension now, will they count the contributions up to June 2018 or will they just count contributions up to December 2017 for Coap
that's basically the same question I am asking

sorry I see that now. have you found out anything in the meantime. As my friend needs as many contributions as she can find as they have started counting them from when she had a summer holiday job when she was 16

I think once you are 66 during year you don’t pay Class S PRSI for the year. I know it’s probably not answer you want. I can check for certain for you tomorrow. Did you ring prsi contribution helpline
Yes your class S contributions are not paid in your 66th year.

So am I correct in thinking if they are class A they will be paid up to to your 66th birthday.

I had understood that Class A contributions paid after the end of the year of the 65th birthday did not count, and if the 66th birthday was in the later part of the year and Class A continued to be paid until the 66th birthday, that these contributions were ignored.

So can these count for the 520 contributions and also for the yearly averaging?

I spoke to a lady in Citizens Advice. She said contributions after the end of the year of 65th birthday were not counted. But if you were self employed you had to pay class S contributions in your 66th year, but these contributions were not counted, neither could you get them back. Seems unfair to anyone with a birthday late in the year.
Here's an example- Mary was born on 31/12/52 and Joan on 01/01/53. Both work in same job in Public Service for 25 years (class D) and then for 9 years in same employment at Class A. At 31/12/2017 both have 9 years reckonable PRSI contributions. Both work for 12 months in 2018. Mary gets no Contrib Pension. Joan now has 10 years contribs, so gets at least a minimum Contrib Pension, which is worth over €100,000 over her 20+ years of life. Does that make sense?

Kilmay - I think you should ring Prsi Self Employment Section 051-356000. They are usually helpful enough. I dont think you pay Prsi in your 66th year but you may have the option to do so.

Back