Contributing more than 150% to AVC for 40% tax payer

Discussion in 'Pensions' started by Logo, 14 Feb 2019.

1. Logo

Logo Frequent Poster

Last edited: 14 Feb 2019
    Retirement is within the next five years with a DB pension, 20+ years of service and having contributed AVCs to allow a retirement lump sum of 150% of revenue max limit and in 40% tax bracket. I'm wondering if there is any financial benefit in continued investment in AVCs? Just matching company 4% at the minute.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Conan

Conan Frequent Poster

The max retirement lump sum is 150% of Final Salary (inclusive of any BIK, bonuses etc) provided you have at least 20 years service. So using an AVC pot to top up what the scheme provides to the 150% figure makes sense, very tax-effective.

3. Logo

Logo Frequent Poster

Thanks for your prompt reply Conan. I assume that the Final Salary figure from the P60 (gross pay less any superannuation contributions allowable for income tax purposes) will include declared BIK, bonuses etc. So there is no financial benefit in my continued AVC payments to match the employers 4%?

4. Conan

Conan Frequent Poster

Certainly investing AVCs to maximize the retirement lump sum is very tax effective. I am not clear on the 4%+4%. If you are in a DB scheme are you saying that the Employer will match your 4% AVC as an additional contribution to a DC scheme? This seems unusual.
    Whilst it is arguable that you should contribute AVCs to fund additional Pension income (as opposed to only contributing to maximize the lump sum) if that additional pension income is going to be taxed at 40% + 4% USC, if you are saying that the Employer WILL match that 4% into an additional DC scheme, then it may be worthwhile investing the 4% AVC in order to get the additional 4% from the Employer.
    But you need to clarify whether the potential 4% from the Employer is in addition to what it contributes to the DB scheme?

Logo likes this.
  5. Logo

Logo Frequent Poster

Thanks Conan for the reply. I will have to check that out.