Contracting under CxC

I

iecontractor

Hi Everyone,

I have been working in Ireland since August 2007. I was recently told that I don't have any tax credits, as I have been listed under CxC's umbrella company as a Director through Revenue - and I should not be listed as the director. I have been told to fax a letter to Revenue to change this. I want to know, by changing this - will it decrease the amount of tax I pay or the credits I'm entitlted to? For the past 5 months I have been paying Employer PRSI - is this because I was listed as a director or do I still need to pay this?

Also, any advice on how to go about claiming my tax back for 2007 would be much appreciated - I have been told I need a P60 (I have received one of these prior to the contract work I did through CxC - am I meant to receive another from CxC ?)

Thanks!

But isn't this the service that CxC provide to contractors? Do they not do all the tax stuff for you? What are they telling you?

If you are not a proprietary director of the company, then you should get the Employee Tax Credit. It may well be the Revenue's error that you are not getting this. Faxing them will fix it.

If you are not a proprietary director, then your "employer" should pay employer's PRSI. As I understand it, the umbrella company pays this and charges it to you.

You should have received a P60 from your employer at 31 December 2007. That sounds like CxC. The previous employer gave you a P45, the form you get when you leave a job.

The year-end P60 incorporates the P45 data. The Revenue staff are very helpful. Call them. I assume that you will have to fill in an end of year return, but you might not have to.

But again, do CxC not provide this service to you?

Brendan

thanks Brendan - I would have thought CxC would be providing this for me, however, as you suggested I will call revenue.

thanks!

You should be paying both employer and employee tax with cxc. You technically are an employee of the umbrella company. You should receive a p60 from your umbrella company and when you cease contracting you should receive a p45, just as you would with any other job. I'd get in touch with your cxc contact about this

Back