Contracting & Redundancy

[berrywell]

I was working as a contractor (via my own Ltd.) on a series of renewed 3 month contracts for the same client over the period of 6 years. I was talking to someone today and they mentioned that if you work as a contractor on contract for more than 2 years you may be entitled to redundancy benefit but from reading online I am seeing conflicting opinions on this.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and able to share their insight on this?

If you were contracting in your own name you may have a slight chance to establish a case, but absolutely no chance when contracting as a company.

If you were contracting in your own name you may have a slight chance to establish a case, but absolutely no chance when contracting as a company.

... in Ireland!

In the U.K. the IR35 legislation might kick in, and that's presumably where the misinformation has come from in this case.

... in Ireland!

In the U.K. the IR35 legislation might kick in, and that's presumably where the misinformation has come from in this case.
It's an Irish website. We assume everyone is posting from an Irish perspective unless they mention something that alerts to them not being based in Ireland.
In the USA or Germany some other law may kick in also but it is not relevant here. I don't see any misinformation.

It's an Irish website. We assume everyone is posting from an Irish perspective unless they mention something that alerts to them not being based in Ireland.
In the USA or Germany some other law may kick in also but it is not relevant here. I don't see any misinformation.

Lots of first time posts here transpire to be from foreign posters who don't realise that it's an Irish site due to the .com domain name.

The misinformation is that someone who is familiar with the UK rules (where there is a 2-year rule) appears to have misinformed the OP, who is an Irish based contractor.

A prime example of something similar that mushroomed hugely was the whole mess around tax free T&S expenses for contractors from their Ltd co. / umbrella co., where somewhere along the way the UK modus operandi, which came into existence following a change in legislation over there, became the norm here even though there was never any change in Irish legislation to make such payments tax free here.

Hence my question to the OP, as his reference to 2 years suggests he's talking about the rules that apply in the U.K. And an awful lot of Irish based contractors also take on contracts in the U.K.

Back