Contract not being renewed due to CID/permanency - can I do anything?

Like many contract workers in third level institutions around the country my contract was not renewed when the existing contract expired.

I had worked for the institution for 3 years and 11 months on 4 continuous rolling contracts and had been given the impression from my head of department that the CID was only a formality. This did not come to pass and I was only made aware of the situation with the bare minimum of notice, has anybody experienced a similar set of circumstances and is there anything I can do?

If you are a member of a union you should contact them for advice. Have the college discussed redundancy payment (cold comfort but AFAIK they will have to treat you equally in terms of redundancy pay as you have more than 2 years service). I have heard of an instance of a LA contractor being reinstated but as far as I know he had already passed the 4 year mark.It seems odd that colleges are getting rid of loads of staff given that the government are promoting education for unemployed people, you can see an admin/lecturing nightmare in the making there! Were other contracts renewed or were all contractors let go?

hi i am not sure if i am posting correctly so bear with me. i am 7 years in my current school and i do not have CID i am just wondering what my rights are. i was part time for 5 years and now have a contract for two years.

Back