Continuity of Service clause

Chief Seamus

Hi everyone,
I joined my company about 16 months ago and it now looks like I'll be losing my job as the company will probably be going bankrupt.
I know that my service is not long enough normally for statutory payment but.....
When I joined I was given a "continuity of service" clause; i.e. the 6 years I had spent with my previous employer would be taken into account if I was ever made redundant. This was a key factor in my final decision to accept the job.
Can this be applied in the event of an insolvent company having it's redundancy liability paid by the state? or am I to get nothing?
Any advice would be welcome

Re: Redundancy and length of service

Hi Chief

I have just seen this now. Did you get an answer?

Why was there a "continuity of service" clause? Was your previous employer connected to your current employer?

Hi everyone,
I joined my company about 16 months ago and it now looks like I'll be losing my job as the company will probably be going bankrupt.
I know that my service is not long enough normally for statutory payment but.....
When I joined I was given a "continuity of service" clause; i.e. the 6 years I had spent with my previous employer would be taken into account if I was ever made redundant. This was a key factor in my final decision to accept the job.
Can this be applied in the event of an insolvent company having it's redundancy liability paid by the state? or am I to get nothing?
Any advice would be welcome

Hiya,

Dept of Enterprise, Trade & Employment have two sections in Davitt House, Adelaide Road called Redundancies and Insolvency. They may be able to help you with those specifics. If you ring the main department line they will put you through. Offices are open each day bar Thursday (BH) this week.

HTH

Were TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings - Protection of Employees) rules relevant in this case at all? If not it seems very odd for a new employer to offer a continuity of service clause covering time served with another employer!

If you can establish your entitlement under TUPE you can then apply to the Insolvancy Fund. Application form available from DETE

Back