Contaminated Food Product: How and who to report it to?

colm

I bought a product the other day that I am fiarly sure is contaminated with some form of disefectant.
What is the best route to take here.
Should I contact the company or deal with Environmental Health Service Offices directly?

Re: Contaminated Food Product

I would do both. Make sure that you retain a sample of the product to give to the Environmental Health Officer as its your proof.

I recently purchased mint tea bags from a well known UK tea manufacturer which unfortunately tasted dreadful and nothing like mint. I buy the same ones every week. When I sent them back to the manufacturer I got a standard letter telling me that the "master tea taster" had tasted them and said they were definitely mint but I got 7.50 in vouchers for my "inconvenience".

Heaven knows what I drank and needless to sayI wont be buying anything from them again.

Last edited:

just out of interest for you ...
I purcahsed a cereal the wk before last and while eating it last wk almost choked on a large piece of straw .... cereal was bran flakes.
I tried to ring the ROI number on side of packet.. but it says cant be connected from areas.
I emailed the company via their complaint section on their website and no response to date.
I wouldnt mind but all I wanted was an aknowledgement that they will note this happened and check safety etc.. I am 5 months pregnant and it wasnt a pleasant experience... but im an adult and better capable of dealing with possible choking than an young child.

Thanks for the input.
I was thinking doing both , probobly Environmental Health Service Offices first to see how much they require.
This is a pretty bad one. I won't mention names for obvious reasons. But it was a desert & there is a pungent smell of what seems like disenfectent (Like TCP)

This happened to me years ago as well. I got a bottle of Lucozade and it smelt like perming lotion. An inspector came out straight away and they took it very seriously and were very professional about their product. It was something had got into the bottle during the process, but it was not harmful. I got a load of free lucozade though.

Would you really want a load more of the same product though??
I am more concerned of how many more of these are on shelves out there.
And what if the kids ate one.
Belive me by the smell of this it would not be safe.

Would you really want a load more of the same product though??
I am more concerned of how many more of these are on shelves out there.
And what if the kids ate one.
Belive me by the smell of this it would not be safe.

What was the product? I know that the Sherry Trifle type products smell a bit of disinfectant.

What was the product? I know that the Sherry Trifle type products smell a bit of disinfectant.

It was a dessert. But this is definitly not how it should smell.
Anyhow the update on this ..
I rang the company this morning who never enev bothered to ring me back.
Rang Enviromental Health Officer , who acted instantly. Drove out collected the sample, took all the details, drove to shop where purchased & got a control sample & had the product into the lab this afternoon.
Easy to see whose taking the most interest here.
Am baffled as to why any company in the food industry would not act upon this more urgently.

I'm amazed that Enviromental Health are so efficient!!! Good for them :)

Could you post their contact details?

I'm amazed that Enviromental Health are so efficient!!! Good for them :)

Could you post their contact details?

[broken link removed]

I am glad I went The Enviromental Health route. The company in question finally called me back this evening basically fobbing me off that it was probobly nothing & maybe the item was simply gone off. Possiblt it was left out of the fridges for a few minutes. "Have a little package & forget about it"
I will be eagerly awaiting the lab results.

Back