Construction Work during the night & The Gardai

Darth Vader

If a Building Company are doing work through the night on a building site, do the Gardai have to power to enter onto the site and tell them to stop?
I didnt think they could enter on to private property to do something like this.

E.g if a car alarm or house alarm has gone off accidentally, they can not enter the car / house without the owners consent to do anything about the noise.

Any one know what powers they have in this regard?

(i'm not 100% sure if this is the right place for this question but i'm sure you'll move me if i'm in the wrong place)

Check the planning conditions for the site, they usually list working hours ie 7-7 and 9-1 at weekends. Out side of that its a civil matter and would be hard to involve gardai

Section 108 of the Environmental protection agency act 1992 deals with noise as a nuisance. [broken link removed] There is no set level of noise that is permitted, just that the noise can't give reasonable cause for annoyance.
Any person can go to the district court to seek relief from the noise. talk to your local district court office or local council about this, they should be able to advise.

Back