Construction site proximity to creche or school

Páid

PNBP49N.png

The building on the left in white is a creche and the semi-circle is their playground. A construction company intends to erect hoarding 2 metres from the creche but I don't think this is sufficient given the stopping distances of a number of lorries that will be removing topsoil, carrying construction equipment, etc.

I've seen this but there are no minimum distances mentioned - http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Legislation/New_Legislation/SI_291_2013.pdf

Is there any other relevant legislation that applies?

I think the main purpose of hoardings around building sites are to keep people/things out of the site and not the other way round!

When you say 2 metres from the creche, I take it you mean 2 metres from the playground? The purpose of the hoarding will be to provide a boundary to the site - it is never intended to act as a physical barrier for out of control trucks, even at a few km/hr it couldn't do that. Instead you have to think of the drivers operating their trucks on the construction site in a safe manner, assessing their stopping distance by taking the driving conditions into account and being able to see the site boundary because of the hoarding - much like the rest of us do every time we park in a public car park.

Is this a large construction project? On construction projects which will take more than 30 days or more than 500 person day or where there is more than one contractor involved, there is a requirement under the Construction Regulations 2013 to appoint a PSDP (Project Supervisor Design Process) and a PSCS (Project Supervisor Construction Stage). These will be involved in preparing safety plans including a traffic management plan as part of the overall planning and phasing of the job. In preparing plans, they should consider not only the activities happening on site but also those in the immediate proximity - so in this case the importance of maintaining a secure boundary between the creche and the site would be particularly relevant as JPD points out.

The OP hasn't elaborated on their connection to the project. Reputable construction companies will employ or engage safety advisors to work with the PSDP and PSCS and such companies are normally more than happy to discuss safety matters with neighbours in the interest of good working relationships. Obviously the earlier that contact can be made with the contractor the better from the point of view of their understanding of the concerns of their neighbours and to give the builders an opportunity to explain the method statements and safety plans that they are putting in place.

I have a child in the creche.

It is a large construction project for a two story commercial building. All we have been given is the map above so I have to assume that construction activities will be carried out in close proximity to the playground.

I will ask to see the documents you mention above. Thanks for your help.

Look online for the planning files, you should be able to access the full plans.

I'm sure other parents may have similar concerns, so perhaps the Creche owners could engage with the site owners and talk through the details and provide reassurance to all parents. After all, they have a responsibility for the children in their care.

I'm sure other parents may have similar concerns, so perhaps the Creche owners could engage with the site owners and talk through the details and provide reassurance to all parents. After all, they have a responsibility for the children in their care.

+1

Surely this a matter for the creche owners to address?

+1

Surely this a matter for the creche owners to address?
Yes it is and I am awaiting a response from them. There is nothing wrong with informing myself of the rules, regulations and legislation that applies so that I can be sure it is complied with.

If you had gone to the briefing, you could have asked your question there!! OPW were quite comprehensive in the measures being taken to ensure that the construction will not affect any other parts of the campus.

If you had gone to the briefing, you could have asked your question there!! OPW were quite comprehensive in the measures being taken to ensure that the construction will not affect any other parts of the campus.

And what measures are they?

Yes it is and I am awaiting a response from them. There is nothing wrong with informing myself of the rules, regulations and legislation that applies so that I can be sure it is complied with.
Indeed, but the issue here is surely safety, not rules, regulations and legislation?

Back