Construction project

unsurediy

Hi im doing a construction project as part of a civil eng degree, and im looking for as much info as possible with reguards to planning applications, site investigations, what evers out there pics etc

Can you give bit more detail?? For planning apps, decisions go to public counter in planning depts of councils

Read the FAQs at the top of this forum.
Some of the references therein may need to be updated
As noted above, read your council's requirements for Site Investigations.
Both of these sources are more or less centred on small to medium scale residential use.

Civil engineering works OTOH are mega developments by comparison, with potentially huge impacts on water tables, flora, fauna, local landfill, etc.
Thus, look at the several restrictions imposed by the EPA, SAC's, the common law, nuisance and tort, the need under planning law for an EIS and the benefits of an SDZ.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

detail

Hi im hoping to get chatting with people who have recently built a house or any engineers or builders who could give me a step by step guide on building a house from scratch hopefully with photos of recent work they might have, thanks anyway for all the advice

Are there two posters using the nic "unsurediy", one doing a construction project and one thinking of building a house?

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

As I see it:

The OP has to do a project based on the construction of something.

As building a house falls into the realms of construction the OP is going to focus on the construction of one from initial planning to end product.

Lots of people photograph their dream build but it's hard to know how you'd get in contact with them.

Have a search for Irish based fora on self-builds etc. ... who knows you might get lucky.

Query #1

"Hi im doing a construction project as part of a civil eng degree, and im looking for as much info as possible with reguards to planning applications, site investigations, what evers out there pics etc"

Query #2

"Hi im hoping to get chatting with people who have recently built a house or any engineers or builders who could give me a step by step guide on building a house from scratch hopefully with photos of recent work they might have, thanks anyway for all the advice"

Now I don't know about the rest of the regular posters here, but answering the comments here posted in response to the first thread starter query with a second, slightly different thread starter query looks odd to me.

, what's the story?

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

I see nothing wrong with the querys. THe first one is vague enough in relation to what information he is actually looking for and he clarifies it in the second one. He wants to speak to people who have built recently thus getting information in relation to planning applications and probably other issues in relation to building. He wishes to talk to engineers also who can clarify on site investigations. The project might be based solely on the phases from purchase of site to commencement of building. Or it may include the entire built.
Sounds to me like a typical student question,

I take your point ted, but they're both seem to be thread starters, the second is not a respose or clarification.
I'd like to see another post from the original poster [OP] on this matter.

ONQ.

clarify

im the only unsurediy, im doing a project on the construction of a house, in this project i will do a piece on planning, site investigation, foundations, type of construction ie blockwork, timberframe, cavity block walls or other, insulation, type of heating and plumbing systems, rooof types, slate, tiles and any green techs used ie solar panels or wind turbines.
im just hoping some1 who might have built a house in the last year might have photographed each stage and would be willing to email me pics.
hope this clears things up

Thanks for the clarification unsurediy,

I refer you to the answers already offered for the most part of your query list.

In relation to your last question re photos I think you may find the people who post questions to AAM dont hang around to provide pictures.
Some revert, some don't in relation to following up their work - its always welcomed but its never pictures.
Many people you may find will be reluctant to release pictures of private projects to a student.
This is in case anything goes wrong at a later stage and/or for reasons of general privity.
They may also be prevented from so doing under the contract.

Normally I'd refer you to a main contractor like McNamara's or Pierse, but they've all gone into liquidation or receivership!
So - apart from some kind soul here - your best bet might be to post your query on Archiseek or the Planning and Construction Forum of boards.ie and see how you get on.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Yup .... I had got it but no harm people getting it again.

Found this:

http://self-build-in-ireland.blogspot.com/ ==> it is worth a look

and here:

[broken link removed]

==> he/she has 153 uploaded. If you could contact them they may oblige you.

and here:

http://blogs.myhome.ie/author/derektrenaman/

Homebond is also worth a read:

http://www.homebond.ie/

Homebond House Building Manual:
[broken link removed]

Timber Frame Building Manual:

[broken link removed]

Right on the Site Leaflets:
HomeBond takes specific topics relating to house construction and gives detailed advice on each topic.
[broken link removed]

Irish Association of Self Builders is also worth a read:
http://www.iaosb.com/index.html

This company may be able to source people who took photos of their build(s) for you who might be willing to share their experience with you.
[broken link removed]

Clever Mike!
Build Cost Estimator - [broken link removed]
10 Step Self Build Guide - [broken link removed]

Construct Ireland Forum (worth putting a post on there looking for help):
[broken link removed]

(I have no association with any of the above links - just hope they can be of use to the OP - best of luck with the project - it sounds interesting!)

Good post Paddy, very, very informative.
I think someone should make this a Key Post.

Or perhaps incorporate it into the Self Build FAQ.
The FAQ has been split in two recently by Brendan.

This was at my request to find a way around the 40,000 character limit.
There are a lot of heading in the second section to do with going to site.

I think your above post would be excellent to add to it if you had no objection.
Or, depending on Brendan's view of multiplication of stickied posts, it could stand alone.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back