considerations for renting

sorting it!

Hi, Ive been on here several times before re:a debt i had of 31k. Thankfully after a hard struggle im nearly cleared!! (Thanks to all those who offered advice)
I am now moving out of home with my partner, and need bit of advice on few things.
Our rent will cost us approx €1100 and we are currently trying to estimate other living expenses to work out a realistic budget. We are going to open a joint account to lodge a certain amount each month to cover everything but we would like a rough estimate of how much monthly bills such as ESB etc.. are for a couple.

I read on the website 'its your money' that you need insurance whether you are renting or buying? Haven't heard of this for renting so just wanted to know if I do.

And lastly we are renting with a view to buy in a year or two. We also wish to open a savings account for this purpose and wondered where we should consider for short term savings for this.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Contents insurance might be needed while renting. Buildings insurance should be covered by the landlord.

wow, well done.

bills you need to consider.

esb: depends on size of house how much you use. we use about €100 a month for 2 adults/1 child.

gas: again about €100 a month for us.

tv: you'll need a tv license which is €160 approx for the year. If you want sky/chorus you're looking at about €30 for a fairly standard package.

contents insurance is probably all you'll need for renting. 2 years ago we paid about €200 i think. think it was with hibernian.

Food is another big one. This is probably the hardest one to judge, for us it's about €80 a week but you could probably do it for less if it's just two of you.

other things to consider are telephone, broadband.

Can't really answer re the savings. Just bought a house recently so savings are a thing of the past!!!!

Good luck, enjoy your new home

wow! how did you shift 31k of debt? did it take you long?

I ignored it for ages but finally faced up to it and started to tackle it. 1st thing was to contact all the lenders and made an agreement then i set up standing orders to them all so the money was gone as soon as i got paid before i ever saw it and eventually over time i made a dent in the amount. I was finally able to sleep again!!!

Back