Connecting a gas bbq to the mains

CreNaCille

My house is gas fired - hooked up to the grid.

I want to get a gas bbq but connect it to our gas supply rather than relying on cylinders.

Is this difficult? Costly?

dont know, but your mains gas is pressurised......

definately consult a competant plumber...

If you have an exisiting BBQ and using bottled gas and want to use Nat gas you will need to change the burner jets. If you haven't got the BBQ you need to tell the supplier which gas you are going to use.
I imagine it is easier and cheaper to leave it on bottled gas particularly with the summer we are having.

If you have an exisiting BBQ and using bottled gas and want to use Nat gas you will need to change the burner jets. If you haven't got the BBQ you need to tell the supplier which gas you are going to use.
I imagine it is easier and cheaper to leave it on bottled gas particularly with the summer we are having.

I have not bought the bbq yet. I presume one can buy bbqs that accept nat gas.

My thinking is "why bother with cylinders when you have nat gas piped to the house".

Is cylinder gas cheaper than nat gas?

dont know, but your mains gas is pressurised......

definately consult a competant plumber...

I wouldnt' ask a plumber. A gas leak is much more dangerous than a water leak and I'm not sure if a plumber is traineed to deal with such an event.
Instead I'd look for a trained gas fitter or enquire at Bord Gais.

I'd also like to know if bottles are cheaper than piped gas.

A few years ago a salesman tried to convince a relative (who already had it piped) that bottled gas was cheaper in order (I presume) to sign her up for a contract to have the bottles delivered.

I assume you're going to be using the BBQ outside and far away from the house so can't see how you'll be able to connect it up unless you're going to do some digging - sound like a lot of work.

I assume you're going to be using the BBQ outside and far away from the house so can't see how you'll be able to connect it up unless you're going to do some digging - sound like a lot of work.

The bbq will be outside adjacent to a rear exterior wall - actually outside the utility room which contains the gas boiler.

Plumbers are qualified to run gas connections, its often the same type of pipe used for water connections

Working in the industry and my best advice to you is to consult a Bord Gais Approved installer and enquire as to the feasibility of the installation. If the bbq is approved to run on Nat Gas then there shouldn’t be a problem. My main concern would be the fixed installation of the bbq, nat gas is cheaper but your bbq will be rotten in a couple of years being left out in our climate cover or no cover. I think your best way of saving money would be to keep your bbq inside (garage/shed) and use bottled gas, thats the reason you wanted to do it in the first place (use nat gas).

Just another point; if you run the gas main out the back of your house again it will be vulnerable to frost & could split the pipe, you would have to bring the gas pipe underground in heavy duty plastic gas pipe and I fear it would be more trouble than its worth, and the pipe would be a constant worry.

Back