congratulations to all this week's cyclists

Paulone

Hey,
Was going to put this in 'cars & transport' but thought better of it as its not a question.

I want to say a big congratulations to all the cyclists who - like me - have been battling against the headwinds and gale-force conditions to get from A-to-B.

Am prompted to praise after being literally blown to a halt by a strong southwesterly gust that hit me directly as I cycled up a gentle gradient while getting home last evening.

The common theme among all the cyclists I've seen on my commutes this week is the gritty pedalling and use of low-gears.... needs must and all that.

Take a bow everyone (you know who you are). True cyclists understand how tough it is to overcome the air currents using human-powered transport and its been a long week of it!!

Hey,
Was going to put this in 'cars & transport' but thought better of it as its not a question.

I want to say a big congratulations to all the cyclists who - like me - have been battling against the headwinds and gale-force conditions to get from A-to-B.

Am prompted to praise after being literally blown to a halt by a strong southwesterly gust that hit me directly as I cycled up a gentle gradient while getting home last evening.

The common theme among all the cyclists I've seen on my commutes this week is the gritty pedalling and use of low-gears.... needs must and all that.

Take a bow everyone (you know who you are). True cyclists understand how tough it is to overcome the air currents using human-powered transport and its been a long week of it!!

Exactly why I don't cycle ;)

Hey,

Congratulations to one and all, now if you could just ring all your weekend cycling club buddies and tell them not to cycle four abreast on a narrow road - it would be much appreciated! :)

... now if you could just ring all your weekend cycling club buddies and tell them not to cycle four abreast on a narrow road - it would be much appreciated! ...
Thanks my thoughts exactly.

BTW, why did two of you in succession feel it necessary to quote the original post in its entirety and then post one-liners as replies, five words in one case?

Its becoming common recently and I find it tedious in the extreme, clogging up the threads, ruining flow and readability.

BTW, why did two of you in succession feel it necessary to quote the original post in its entirety and then post one-liners as replies, five words in one case?

Its becoming common recently and I find it tedious in the extreme, clogging up the threads, ruining flow and readability.

mathepac that's a letting off steam issue.

Good practice for you all for the Wicklow 200?

Driving, I was at first in line traffic lights a while back - red for me. Cyclist inside me. She "anticipated" the lights and set off before me - once she reached c. the middled of the junction - major gust of wind - she was blown over - right into my lane.

If she'd waited until the light did turn green she'd have been right under my car. My heart lost a life and I braked in time.

Lads and lassies - you battle against the winds - so do we.

Yup...respect to you...you poor fools !

On a nice day, sure, take the bike. On a bad day, use one with an engine, or a car !

maybe

Hey,

annoying alright

Congratulations to one and all, now if you could just ring all your weekend cycling club buddies and tell them not to cycle four abreast on a narrow road - it would be much appreciated! :)
Hear Hear! They're a major hazard on the narrow roads at the weekends and seem to delight in cycling four abreast to hold up the traffic behind them.

Anyone know what the law is regarding cyclists, are they supposed to cycle in single file?

Dunno?

Anyone know what the law is regarding cyclists, are they supposed to cycle in single file?

ASFIK it's single file. Can't say that's 100% law, but that's how I was taught. Still seeing as we're on requests (and to flame the motorist vs cyclist war), could you ask fellow motorists to:

1. not drive in the cycle lanes or cut into them early when turning left without doing the next point:
2. notice that some engineer at some point took the time to design a polished reflective surface and attach them to either side of the car. They even came up with a handy name for them "Mirrors", be nice if you used them occasionally.
3. we don't have to pay road tax, that's why we have to cycle in the bit with all the pot holes, glass, bricks, drains and other matter cause continuous damage to our bikes, try not to drive 1/4 inch from our handle bars, we sometimes need to avoid stuff like that.

ASFIK it's single file. Can't say that's 100% law, but that's how I was taught. Still seeing as we're on requests (and to flame the motorist vs cyclist war), could you ask fellow motorists to:

1. not drive in the cycle lanes or cut into them early when turning left without doing the next point:
2. notice that some engineer at some point took the time to design a polished reflective surface and attach them to either side of the car. They even came up with a handy name for them "Mirrors", be nice if you used them occasionally.
3. we don't have to pay road tax, that's why we have to cycle in the bit with all the pot holes, glass, bricks, drains and other matter cause continuous damage to our bikes, try not to drive 1/4 inch from our handle bars, we sometimes need to avoid stuff like that.

Even though I haven't cycled since I got my van at heart I'll always be a cyclist the reason we (hoping to rejoin my cyclist comrades soon) don't pay motor tax is because it is not a luxury.........like driving:p

From the :

"Don't ever cycle side-by-side with more than one cyclist."

It is permissible to cycle two abreast on the roads. Both cyclists and motorists should show consideration for each other i.e. cyclists should go in single file only when it is safe for following traffic to overtake.

cyclist's are so brave,They fearlessly get on a flimsy contraption without the slightest idea of how fast and heavy cars are,and propel themselves with gay abandon anyway that suits them,with faith in the fact that people who got a licence without a test,people who were trained by them,and people who still have to sit a test,can control a car with enough skill to avoid them.Brave I say every last one of them.I looked into cycling but weighed up the odds and took up base jumping into body's of water with large carnivorous predators in them.My hat off to every last one of them

From the :

"Don't ever cycle side-by-side with more than one cyclist."

It is permissible to cycle two abreast on the roads. Both cyclists and motorists should show consideration for each other i.e. cyclists should go in single file only when it is safe for following traffic to overtake.
So you'd prefer to try to pass a line of 10 pairs of cyclists, along a typical winding road where you can't see to the head of the line, rather than a bunch of 20 all together in a pack?

So you'd prefer to try to pass a line of 10 pairs of cyclists, along a typical winding road where you can't see to the head of the line, rather than a bunch of 20 all together in a pack?

When you get on a bike you take your life into your hands ,not the law into your hands.So it's single file and only side by side when it's safe.Next you will be cycling on pavements:rolleyes:

Back