Confusion over tax credits on JSA

CG2018

Just looking to see if anybody might be able to confirm something for me. I was receiving job seekers benefit for the 9 months and my husband has my personal tax credits, during this time I had paye credits and our credits were also reduced because of my benefit so the two pretty much cancelled each other out.
We were means tested and I have been given a very small job seekers allowance and told I can still keep my credits while I'm on it. So my husband rang the tax office to make sure that credits were allocated to me as the social welfare don't seem to communicate with the tax office.

Anyway long story short the girl put the rest of the years worth of credits back on for me but then messed up something with my husbands credits, an old job appearing he no longer works in. He rang again and they had no idea why it happened and have removed it and sending out another cert. This guy said that the credits allocated to me will be combined with my husbands meaning he will pay less tax. I know for certain that paye credits cannot be transferred to your spouse... They are appearing in my column. The allowance isn't taxable so assuming the credits can't be used and are only there so my tax records are complete. I've an awful feeling we'll have to call for a 3rd time for another half hour wait but just wanted to make sure this was right before I do that. Otherwise we'll end up owing them money next year... We have had nothing but trouble with the tax office making mistakes with our credits for some reason.

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks to anyone that can help!

I'm just wondering if you're confusing tax credits with PRSI credits.

If you were told by jobseekers allowance (social welfare) that you could keep your credits, they are referring to your PRSI credits

Your tax credits appear to be in order. Your personal tax credit is with you husband and your PAYE credit is not transferable. JSA is not subject to tax.

Back