Confusing LPT Monthly Direct Debit message shows total but not the monthly amount.

fatboyPee

Please forgive me if this question has been asked already, I did a search but nothing specific came up that answered my question.

I also have issues with PDF reader so getting to the help guides on the LPT website are not an option.

Anyway, simple question really. I went to set up a direct debit mandate and it asks me "Amount you want to pay". Now, call me stupid :), but it defaults to the total property tax value ?

Far from wishing this to be debited from my account in one lump I opted to put in a figure divided by 12, then i get a popup saying:

"You have elected to pay €49. Please note that your outstanding liability is currently €495, which means you will still have a liability of €446.00 after payment. Payment for the outstanding liability must be setup by 01/01/2014 to avoid incurring interest."

Now, concerned I put back the total figure and saved the mandate, assuming it will divide it out monthly ? Am I correct or not ?

Many thanks for reading.

FBP.

OP, I was setting up a dd for an elderly relative, and as in your case, it showed the full amount, rather than the monthly amounts. I didn't make any change to it, I will check for them when the payments start, and if there is a problem, I will get onto Revenue.

I noticed that as well and decided to go with the single payment instead. It appeared to me that I was authorizing 12 direct debits for the full amount (12 x 500). Really is confusing and LPT website has not done a good job in making payments foolproof and transparent.

Thanks for the replies. Not putting to ofiner a point on it. yeah, really crap site to be honest.

I could do without €495 coming out in January but the error / pop up is even more confusing!!

Thanks again.

FBP.

Thanks FB, ive expanded the title of the tread somewhat (original 'Monthly Direct Debit Query.') to more fully reflect the question. Let me know if its ok. Thanks aj (moderator)

I noticed that as well and decided to go with the single payment instead. It appeared to me that I was authorizing 12 direct debits for the full amount (12 x 500). Really is confusing and LPT website has not done a good job in making payments foolproof and transparent.
Ditto - also decided to opt for the single payment as the monthly direct debit was showing a monthly payment for the full amount. :rolleyes:

Just a brief update, my relative received a letter from Revenue, stating the monthly amount to be deducted, starting January 2014.

I received a similar letter, and the monthly payment is calculated ok. The website really needs to be updated so that it either calculates and displays the monthly payment, or indicates clearly that the value shown is the total, and it will be split over 12 payments.

Back