AIB Confusing letter from AIB Appeals Panel

Dusty Lavender

Hi Brendan,

First of all, I want to thank you for the time, energy and patience you have committed to these ever-increasing threads. I don’t think you realise how many of us would have given up on the complexities of it all were it not for your clear explanations and advice.

We received the alternate reply, on the 7th May, stating the appeal is currently with the bank for review and a decision shall be issued within a period of 14/16 weeks. I followed your guidance and templates Brendan, only adding personal corrections etc to my last reply to AIB where they made false statements (for example, stating that because they never received instructions from us, our account automatically transferred to variable rate, when we had already written a first letter of official complaint because the tracker rate mortgage that we’d chosen was no longer available.).

But, like has already been said, I imagine it's only kicking the can further down the road and won't have any impact on their decision.

Many thanks again

Attachments

• reply from BDO 7 May 2019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 703

So your letter is with the bank for attention. Presumably, they are being given 10 working days to reply.

AIB might decide not to reply, in which case it goes to the Panel for a decision. (I wonder if the Panel will inform you of AIB's decision not to reply?)

But assuming AIB replies, then you will have to be given 10 days to reply, so I can't see how they can estimate it at 14 weeks.

Brendan

View attachment 3775

So your letter is with the bank for attention. Presumably, they are being given 10 working days to reply.

AIB might decide not to reply, in which case it goes to the Panel for a decision. (I wonder if the Panel will inform you of AIB's decision not to reply?)

But assuming AIB replies, then you will have to be given 10 days to reply, so I can't see how they can estimate it at 14 weeks.

Brendan
I got that same letter this week

View attachment 3775

Brendan
I know, it doesn't make sense. I'll keep in mind to ask whether AIB replied at all to the submission in future correspondence, if it's not clear from the Panel's decision. Thanks Brendan.

The panel estimated a decision for my appeal at 10-12 weeks on 26th November. They made their decision on 16th May so it took longer. I took all opportunities to reply so that probably impacted the time scale.

This seems like one of their standard letters as they are required to keep you informed every 20 business days. If AIB reply the panel will send you the response as far as I'm aware.

Hi Brendan,

We’ve received our reply from the AIB, with a covering letter from BDO which states:

“Further to our recent correspondence, we have now received the enclosed response from AIB to your letter dated 25th April 2019, Reference Number ……
Please note that this has not yet been considered by the AIB Tracker Panel.
Please note the Chairperson of the Tracker Panel retains sole discretion as to whether or not to permit the delivery of a further written submission from you and/or the Bank.
If you wish to submit a reply to AIB’s response, please contact the Tracker Panel Independent Secretariat on 1800 800 110 to seek permission from the Chairperson within 5 business days of the date of this letter.
If we do not hear back from you within 5 business days, we will assume that you do not wish to submit a response and the Tracker Panel will proceed with the appeal.”

If the Chairperson of the Tracker Panel allows, we would like to refute important information that has been incorrectly recorded twice in their reply by AIB (namely that they received no further instructions from us, once we’d received their Final Response Letter back in April 2012, and in the absence of an instruction the loan was converted to the Bank’s variable rate. We had replied to their Final Response Letter and we wish to reiterate that fact, in case they try to capitalise on that omission, as an argument later). I know you mentioned before to avoid getting into back-and-forth rallying of points and I’m wondering if, in your opinion, this is worth making a further submission over or am I simply getting overly suspicious?

On another note, just reading the thread there on the Panel’s decision on there being no loss suffered from the “equal or exceeded” SVR calculations. You mentioned that it might be worth arguing the point if an appeal was still open with the panel. As our case has not yet been considered by the panel, is there some way I could refer to those calculations or that information, that could be of use to us all, if I were allowed another submission?

Back