Confused over rent relief application!

galwaymadden

Do you have to apply for rent relief every year?
I applied 4 years ago and got a refund and my tax credits went up.
Then I moved back home. I've been now renting again for the last year.
My mate tells me I must apply every year because everyone's circumstances can change, like when I moved home so the tax office is not going to presume I'm constantly renting, but then another mate said you apply once and thats it?

Confused I am :confused:

No once you have it you have it. Check your certificate of tax credits or http://www.ros.ie/ to see if its listed, if so then you have it. I applied and got it 3 years ago, never reapplied despite moving from counties and still have it.

Technically yes, but it would not be worth the risk of getting caught, as you need to supply your LLs PPS number or their names. Revenue would not take long to put two and two together

Hi Flanders,

Do you know how long it takes for the application to process. I gave my form to the estate agents as they filled in the Llords details and sent the form for me. That was about two weeks ago.

lI logged in ROS (thanks for the reminder - i forget i had applied and my pin was in my desk :)) but it has not been updated as of yet - i know its only been 2 weeks though,

Thanks
Manto

I'd say a month at the most. Maybe you could ring your local tax office to check if they got the application form? Estate agent couldve lost it....

Yea it usually takes 4 weeks.

Okay, so I was living out for the first time applied for rent relief and got it.
Not long later moved back home. To be honest it never ever occurred to me to contact the revenue to tell them, now I'm living out again.
So I am sure there is plenty of people out there who have moved in and out of the family home. What if the first time I applied I wasn't paying over the €2000 so I only got a small refund, but now I am paying over the €2000 a year?

Thanks Flanders.

Rang the Lo-Call number and there is a 5 - 6 week delay in processing corresspondance received.

Yea it usually takes 4 weeks.

Okay, so I was living out for the first time applied for rent relief and got it.
Not long later moved back home. To be honest it never ever occurred to me to contact the revenue to tell them, now I'm living out again.
So I am sure there is plenty of people out there who have moved in and out of the family home. What if the first time I applied I wasn't paying over the €2000 so I only got a small refund, but now I am paying over the €2000 a year?

If the amount you are entitled changes based on the rent you are paying then you do need to contact them to increase (or decrease!) the allowance as appropriate

Back