Confused about tax entitlements for newly married couple with child

cathal79

Hi,

My wife and I got married last October and have not yet chaged out tax status.

We have 1 child and last year I had to live with my mother for 4 months to help her after a hip replacement. We both claimed the lone parents tax credit during this time as revenue advised we were entitled to it.

Now that we are married I am confused at what credits we will both receive.

Currently we get €1830 for single persons credit, €1830 for paye credit plus €1830 for lone parents = total €5490. I have cancelled the lone parents in january for the new year.

As a married person do you get €3660 for married persons credit plus €1830 for paye credit = total €5490

Is it still the same or are their other entitlements I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

You dont say whether your wife works or not.

You get 1830 personal tax credit and 1830 PAYE tax credit.
Your wife gets 1830 personal tax credit and 1830 PAYE tax credit.

If she does not work, she can transfer the personal tax credit to you, but not the PAYE credit.

If she does not work, or has a low wage. it may be advantageous that you be jointly assessed for tax.

Hi,
She does work. On the revenue website it says the following.

I earn approx €47.5 gross and she earns about €28k gross.
Married Person €3660

Further down it says PAYE Tax Credit €1830. This is the one I am confused about because as a single person I get this.

You each get 1830 PAYE credit as PAYE employees. Those credits must remain with the individual and are not transferable between spouses.

You get 1830 personal credit each totalling 3660 as married persons which you may allocate as you see fit between you.

There are no credits for children of married parents unless the parents are "lone parents".

2 years ago I was given my wife's PAYE credit of 1830 in error as she was on parental leave for the full year. Needless to say Revenue came looking for it back the following year and raised an underpayment of tax against me.

Back